We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Error Deleting file or folder

brindly

Likes # 0

I have desk top running Windoes XP. I was recently making a history of some of my old photos that were on the external drive, editing them a nd deleiting the copy as I went. When I had finished i went to the recycle bin to clear the deleted files, it managed nearly all of the except 8 which it defies to delete or restore. The message is "cannot delete thumbs.db it is being used by another person or program. Close all programs that might be using the file and try again" When I dissconnect the external drive the files dissapear, I have copied all the files onto discs but still it will not delete these files or folders. Even when i think I have cleared the files I click on delete all and it asks if I want to delete the remaining 8 folders which I can't even see. Any Ideas? I thought about clearing the remaing 20Gb of data onto discs and re formatting, do you think this might work?

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

I should add there are a couple of folders that won't delete to the recycle bin in the external drive, if that helps.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 1

Try deleting them in Safe Mode

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 1

Also try dragging and dropping into recycle bin

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your advice. 1 Not sure how to start in "safe mode" and drag and drop is not an option when the files are already in the recycle bin, however it seems one thing i didn't try was to re boot after i had cleared all my photos from the external drive, when i did this i went into the recycle bin and even though the files were not visble i clicked to delete all files and it did it without the error message so here is hoping when i put my photos back on the externa drive the problem does not recure. Thank you once again for your help, what a great site"

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Glad that you are sorted, for future reference to get into safe mode keep tapping F8 as you start to boot.

Like this post
brindly

Likes # 0

Thanks Rawprawn another little gem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'