We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

computer boot problem...arrrg!

arminmckidd

Likes # 0

hello, so barely 3 days ago my laptop was working fine but lately it hasnt been booting up properly. i hit the power button and it wirrrs up and all the usual sounds but NO VISUALS at all?!? my laptop is set to sleep when on low power and i routinely hibernate it. After work it went to sleep and i didnt recharge it immediately. next morning booted it up and thus the problem started.

iv tried removing the back tray and cleaning it with a dry cloth. i think i remember installing updates too.

if anyone can shed any light on my problem here it'd be grateful.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Make and model?

Like this post
arminmckidd

Likes # 0

dell XPS m1530

Like this post
arminmckidd

Likes # 0

yeah its a Dell XPS m1530 and i have it running on just the battery and leaving it to run out. could it be a problem with the graphics card. its weird because i didnt get any error before about it...no updates with nvidia either...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

It would be worth plugging it into a monitor, if you have access to one (may have to change the output with Fn + one of the number buttons - varies from make to make). If it works, it's the cable, inverter, screen. If it doesn't, it's a major fault with the mobo.

Like this post
arminmckidd

Likes # 0

thanks for the reply onthelimit1. i followed your suggestion exactly but no luck thus far.

I tried it on my PC monitor(VGA)but it didnt show anything at all. the same for my TV downstairs(HDMI)... what more can i do? i cant afford a new laptop now, especially with Uni starting in less than a month i really need my Laptop!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Somethings to try

1. Turn off the computer,
  2. Take the battery out
  3. Take out the power supply
  4. Push the power button down for 30 seconds.
  5. Reconnect power supply
  6. Then the battery.

retry a boot

Try booting with HDD removed see if it will boot to BIOS

Like this post
arminmckidd

Likes # 0

yeah iv tried that method but that only refers to the battery i think. anyway it didnt work

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Have you tried with the hard drive removed?

Like this post
arminmckidd

Likes # 0

yes iv nearly everything. i even removed the screen to see everything was connected up properly, found an unconnected wire which i thought would be the solution but sadly it wasnt?! it was really difficult to do however.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 release date, new features and compatibility: Free to download from 6pm

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?