We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

System Idle Process running at 99% in task manager

suedeblue

Likes # 0

I'm getting a recurring issue when i start my computer either from start up or sleep. The hard drive is active for anything from 30 minutes to 4 hours with no activity from me. In task manager it shows sytem idle process running at 99%. Can anyone point me in he right direction to stop this please.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

System Idle Process is quite normal at 90-99%.

But there is always something running/updating etc in the background, nothing unusual.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Like Nontek says that is normal if nothing is running.So nothing to worry about.

Like this post
suedeblue

Likes # 0

Thanks Nontek and Buteman. Should it run for as long as 4 hours though. It does seem to have an adverse affect on the general perfornace of the system.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

As I said, this is normal.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

Sorry, just noticed what you said about appearing to have an adverse effect. If this means simply slowing things down a bit, this again is normal, particularly in relation to Windows/Microsoft updates.

Are there any other symptoms of abnormality?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

If system idle process is showing 99% it means that only 1% of the CPU is being used.

If anything else using up a lot of the CPU let us know what.

I used to have Driver Max downloaded and it used to use 100% of the CPU in short bursts so once I had finished using it I deleted it.

If you have a quiet PSU Like I do you can hear the hard drive ticking away even though there is nothing running.

If you just mean sluggish on this forum do not worry about it as it happens quite often as they try and fix some problems.

Or try running C Cleaner to get rid of all the junk.

Apart from that lack of ram or disc space could have the same effects.

Like this post
Secret-Squirrel

Likes # 0

"The hard drive is active for anything from 30 minutes to 4 hours with no activity from me."

Which version of Windows are you running? If it's Vista or 7 then it's usually possible to discover what's causing all that hard disk activity.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

7 coolest 3D-printed objects: Body parts, houses, camera lenses and even pizza

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks