We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Bring spare old pc upto date

stormrider123

Likes # 0

a few years ago i bought 2 compaqs specs celeron D 3.06ghz ram: 512mb ddr pc2 5300 ati xpress 200 gpu 80gb Hdd

one is now an quad core gaming pc. I want to upgrade the second one for under £150 and heres what i came up with...

motherboard bundle £65 novatech incl celeron dual core e3400 2Gb ram Asus motherboard

and an xfx hd 5570 graphics

it will be used by my son mostly watching some movies and slight games especialy cod 4 will this fit the bill?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Yes it will.

Like this post
stormrider123

Likes # 0

I found i have spare copy of windows 7 64bit lying around if i put another 2gb of ram would i be able to install windows 7 instead of xp which i was planning to use and still get good performance as w7 uses a little more reources e.g then XP

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You have given very little to go on, a link to the bundle on Novatech,type speed of ram, what PSU do you have? On paper I cannot see any problems but a tad more detail would help.

Like this post
stormrider123

Likes # 0

Link to Bundle Novatech bundle

I have a 400watt corsair psu

Link to graphics card Novatech GPU

And the 2gb of extra ram il add to the bundle: Novatech Ram

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

That should be fine, you will probably have to turn the settings down a little on the game but otherwise it looks OK.

Like this post
stormrider123

Likes # 0

Thanks ordered today.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia Lumia 530 review: £60 smartphone offers decent build and performance, awful screen and...

IDG UK Sites

Apps watch: What the NFL can teach UK sports such as cricket and rugby

IDG UK Sites

Dell adds Intel processor to new Wyse thin client

IDG UK Sites

How to win iTunes Festival 2014 tickets: See Pharrell Williams, Ed Sheeran, Paolo Nutini, Kylie &...