We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Retrieving lost video files

SpiralStaircase

Likes # 0

Hi there,

I really hope someone can help me with this.

2 days ago I downloaded some video footage to my Dell Inspiron 6400 from a hand-held video camera. In Windows Live Photo Gallery, before the files were downloaded, I gave each set of clips a title based on the date they were taken and the clips could be found in "my pictures" in separate folders named after the date.

Today I did the same procedure using a different camera. Again, before downloading I named each batch according to the date they were taken.

When I then looked for these photos in "my pictures" I could only find folders for the ones I had downloaded today and not the ones from 2 days ago.

I was wondering if because I named today's pictures the same as the one's from 2 days ago (i.e. 25th August 2011), the new folder created for these has over-written the previous folder of the same name? (At no point did I get a message telling me that a folder already exists of that name, which I sometimes get when saving files on my laptop.)

Is that possible and if so is there any way I can retrieve the old video files?

The video clips were/are of my daughter's first birthday so I'm desperate to get them back.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Why did you name the new files the same? This may be worth a read:

http://www.recoverrecyclebin.com/recoveroverwrittenfiles.php

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Sorry try this:

http://www.recoverrecyclebin.com/recoveroverwrittenfiles.php

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

If link doesnt work Google "recovering overwritten files" and you will see link.

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

presume you have tried a Search that will show whether they are still about or not

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback