We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Problem with cursor navigation on sites such as PCA

mooly

Likes # 0

Using Vista and IE9.

For some weeks when typing text such as this, if I want to move the cursor (for example to go back a few characters to correct a typo) I always used the arrow keys on the keyboard and the cursor moved as expected.

On sites such as PCA this doesn't work for some reason. If I tap the "back arrow" key say 5 times the insertion point does indeed move back but there is no visible indication of where it actually is. The actual cursor remains at the end of the text just typed. The only sure way to move the cursor to a known point is with the mouse and a left click but even then the actual visible cursor remains at the end of the text.

PCA isn't the only site that does this, there are one or two others that I use that do similar. I have tried using compatability view and that made no difference and have also tried this on a new Vista instal and that was the same.

Just me or has any one else had this happen ?

Like this post
Crosstrainer2

Likes # 0

Works fine on my iPad......and also ok on my iMac. I'm guessing you have already played withe the mouse settings, so looks like a Windows issue.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I guess so... if I find anything out I'll update this thread of course.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

sounds like its you computer that's at fault, or a windows problem as i use xp home on all my pc's and they all work like you want yours to

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

This is odd... I haven't done anything besides post this thread... but it is now (at this moment anyway) working as it should. Arrow keys move cursor in all directions.

And I have just opened another site on another tab to check, and that still misbehaves in the same way.

Too much of a coincidence methinks :)

Whether PCA will stay this way though...

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

This gets stranger. Thought I would just try it again and it failed, same as before but investigating a bit more I find the following.

1. If I click the empty "reply to this topic" message box first I get a steady unblinking cursor. Move the mouse pointer out of the message box and this "text insertion point cursor" dissapears. Move the mouse point back into the box and it reappears. Original complaint of no navigation by arrow keys is present if I type.

2. If I left click the empty left hand margin before clicking in the message box it seems to work correctly every time. I get a blinking cursor in the message box that both remains and is navigable no matter where the mouse is.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPad mini 3 vs iPad mini 2 comparison: New iPad mini 3 isn't worth £80 more

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...