We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

What dvd dics to use on a recovery backup

charlton200

Likes # 0

On my new laptop I have to create some recovery discs. It says use high quality disconly. I have some panasonic ones, don't know if they are high quality or not. If I need high quality ones, what type/make should I get, and how many discs will I need?

Thank you

Like this post
tullie

Likes # 0

Any dvd-r should do the job,it depends on your laptop how many it will need,mine needs two.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Probably 3 x DVD and 1 x CD or DVD repair disc.

Any brand will be OK, they all fail/get scratched.

Once you have made a set, use Imgburn to clone a set of extra discs since your mfr will only allow one set.

http://download.cnet.com/ImgBurn/3000-2646_4-10847481.html?tag=mncol;1

Don't forget you will also have a Recovery Partition which should be used in preference tp discs.

And of course you will have an ext HDD with enough free space to make regular System Images, which are much, much more preferable to making factory recoveries??

A clean W7+SP1 backup image will be 23+GB

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Oh and the reason for 2 sets of DVDs??

When you do have to use them, in some years time, you get an abort/retry/fail message and pop out the dodgy disc and put the 2nd clone in.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I always use Verbatim DVD-R discs. You can't use any rewritable (RW) discs, for obvious reasons, as the backup manager, usually, will warn that the discs aren't suitable. On my latest HP laptop it took 4 DVD-R discs to create the restore discs. Just a tip, once you create these discs then copy them, if you can, just as an extra back-up.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

Thank you for your answers. It says that I have to use DVD+r discs on my backup. It also says, that a recovery disc can be bought from Hp, does anyone know how much this is? I do have an external hard drive, but I don't know how to do system images. I am only a basic user and I'm not sure of all the technology and get easily confused by it.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

continuing on from my previous post - I see that I can use DVD-R and DVD+R as well.

When I got the laptop which was yesterday I set up straight away the 60 day free trial of Norton security. Is it ok to do the backing up now or should I have done it without Norton being activated?

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Burn the back-up discs as soon as possible. It doesn't matter what you've installed. If you need to use them at any time they will revert the laptop back to factory settings as it was new.

Like this post
charlton200

Likes # 0

I tried backing up but got this message, "We are experiencing errors in media creation, please try again". I did, but it still didn't work. i will have to buy some new discs to see if they work.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

HP suggests disconnecting from the 'net and disabling UAC and closing all programs before creating the discs.

Creating HP recovery discs

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nexus 6 vs Sony Xperia Z3 comparison: Lollipop phablet takes on KitKat flagship smartphone

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Free rocket & space sounds: NASA launches archive of interstellar audio on SoundCloud

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests, beautiful...