We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Non-appearing pen drive?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good evening,

I have 3 USB pen drives, and decided to change the one I had had for some small backup with one of the others. I must emphasise that they have all been working normally, up until now. So I took the existing one out and inserted one of the others and it doesn’t show in Windows Explorer. ( The pen drive has what looks like a plastic/steel outer cover with an elongated oval with what appears to be an elongated ‘M’ inside the oval and alongside this it has ‘SV-U88’, there is a red light at the opposite end to where you plug it in and it is ON and is red in colour, with USB 2.0 1GB beside the light, but there is no make or manufacturers name on it and I can’t remember where I got it! ) So I rebooted my computer, and changed where the pen drive was plugged in, same result. I have a Seagate portable external drive which was disconnected to an extension port at the back of my computer and I shut down, connected the portable, re-booted the computer and it was in Windows Explorer so the extension was working, so I shut down, connected the pen drive to the extension and rebooted. Nothing shown anywhere. Now I know the pen drive worked a couple of weeks ago and when it wasn’t showing in Windows Explorer I thought I would go into what turned out to be computer management and confirm that its drive letter was ‘F’, but as it not showing there I couldn’t even do that. There are some files/pictures on the drive that I do not wish to lose but I am totally flummoxed as to how to get the pen drive on line. Does anyone have any ideas as to what I can do to get this acknowledged by my computer? It is only a one GB drive, but it does have some irreplaceable ‘photos on it and I don’t wish to lose them.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Ghost device conflicts are the mostly cause especially for devices that are connected and disconnected regularly i.e. pen drives, external drives, mp3 devices and phones.

Remove all USB devices

http://www.nirsoft.net/utils/usbdevicesview.html

Download and run

Uninstall ALL devices that are shown as not connected.

Reboot the machine.

Plug in your USB device and windows should then find new hardware and reinstall the drivers for the device.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

Fruit Bat /\0/\

Thanks for your reply, but when I clicked on your link it couldn’t be found, but I am not certain that that is what the problem is as you will see from the following!

Just an interesting situation development on my problem. After I shut down last night I took the pen drive out of my computer, and tried it in my wife’s laptop. It found it straight away – very confusing!! However what I now find totally baffling is that after I booted my computer this morning, I inserted the pen drive. After the usual few seconds it appeared, So I shut down and re-booted, and surprise, surprise, although the red light was on showing it was ready, it did not appear on my computer. Does anyone have any idea what is going on??

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It could be that you are shutting down and rebooting with the drive still in the usb port. Get it working again in the other PC then connect to yours. Use the safely remove hardware icon in the notification area when removing it. Try inserting again to see if it's recognized.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

USB Device view

the PCA site often does not reproduce links very well the underscores infront and behind the word devices have disappeared and instead have placed devices in italics

ou need to remove all references to your drive from your registry for it to work again correctly on your machine. this is why its OK on other machines

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

rdave13,

you are correct that I leave the pen drive in the port, and it is not recognised. But if I have it out of the port - for instance while the computer is booting up - and then insert it, it is seen immediately! I just don't understand why it isn't seen when left in the port!

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

I do not know how the registry works, let alone how to remove the refences to the USB ports. I know I am being a pain-in-the-proverbial, but could you please explain how to do this for me? I really would be most grateful!!

Many thanks in anticipation.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

That's what USB Device View does for you, when you uninstall an item it will delete all references in the registry.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Many apologies, I missed the download link. However I did try it and downloaded it, installed it and then ran scan. It only found some Nvidia drivers were out of date so I asked it to download their update and was horrified to be asked for almost £50. So I went into the Nvidia site and downloaded the screen driver ( 177 MB ) myself, which is why I haven't replied to you before. But the scan said the USB ports and drivers were all OK, which I thought odd, but as I have had pen drives almost permanently connected before I didn't see why this was was playing up, BUT whether it was the scan or something else the pen drive now seems to be working OK. So I am not going to do any more to it as I believe ) well for most things/time ) that if it ain't broke don't fix it!!

many thanks for your help and advice.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Not sure what you have downloaded USBdeview does scan for drivers and give any info about graphics drives it just list all the USB devices that have been connected and whether they are still connected or not.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Fruit Bat /\0/\,

Good afternoon,

Well I don't know what happened!! I clicked on your 'USBdeview' [ in your last post ] and it appeared that the programme had been downloaded, although I was certainly not aware of this - or when - it happened! I tried the programme out and am amazed at it. Looking at the screen and the data it gives is quite astonishing and I think it will take me some time to work through everything and figure it all out. Anyway I decided that having a 4 GB pen drive as a backup for a [ smallish ] set of data files was not what I should be using it for so I switched it for a 128 MB one and that is permanently seen - in the same USB port! Why?? I do not know but I will be doing some investigations over the next couple of weeks and hope to find out. Nothing to do with this thread [ sort of! ] I have decided to save my downloads to a 16 GB Kingston pen drive that I have just ordered. I will hope to keep this permanently connected but at the same time the downloads will not be backed up. As the drive was only £10.99 I hope/think this is a reasonable deal and, and hopefully, the way to keep control of one small part of my computer!

Many thanks for everyone's posts.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide