We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

reducing photo

Yimbo
Resolved

Likes # 0

We're giving our little grandaughter (aged 4) a gold locket into which I'd like to put a picture of her face. In all the dozens of photos we have of her, the face is too big fo fit. What I need is a way to print a photo - reduced - so that the face will fit into the locket.

Any ideas?

Like this post
AroundAgain

Likes # 0

Do you have any photo editing program on your computer? If so, what do you use.

Alternatively, if you have MS Office, with Powerpoint, (or Impress from OpenOffice/LibreOffice). I find it is very easy to resize images in that, more so than Word or equivalent. As your picture will be behind glass-type protection, the image will appear glossy anyway.

Alternatively, hang on until someone can give you more detailed help.

Good luck

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

There are many photo imaging software programmes from expensive - Photoshop CS5 to free. If you have a programme I would suggest a resolution of 300 dpi, and then resize to what you need - try a few sizes a mm or so apart. No doubt someone will suggest a freebie, such as the Gimp.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

Thanks for your help! I've got Picassa and Magix Photo Manager - also Open Office and MS Office 2010 (Powerpoint) though I'm not not up to speed with this - yet!!

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Important always work on a copy not the original

You could use ifranview its free import your image Go to edit> create custom crop selection> onthe right hand side of the box that opens just chose inches and enter 1 in the width and height window enter 1 amd 1 or whatever size is needed to enclose the face .Now click on apply to image.You will have a square now on the main image move that (holding the right click ) over the area required. Now holding the leftclick over any ot box edges till you get a doubleheaded arrow drag each line in till it covers just the area required You can now choose the actual size by going to edit ]1Resize /resample tick set new size enter your sizes . Best to avoid changing any aspect ratio if possible As said previously use 300 ppi as the resolution .

enter link description here

Like this post  
mooly

Likes # 0

You can reduce any photo in paint which is included with Windows OS. As eedcam say... make a copy first :)

It's a bit basic but does the job, just select "image" on the top options and then "resize". Change the horizontal and vertical size to say 50% keeping both the same and just experiment. If it's not right just click "edit" and "undo" and try again.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Paint.Net is also a good one. Always work off a copy as said above.

resize photo

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

It's best not to make changes to an image while it's a JPEG file, as the resolution gets lower every time you save (and you'll have a Roy Lichenstein before you know it!). If it's a JPEG, I save it as a BMP file to start with, before any resizing or whatever (I don't think it's the only suitable file type, it's just the one I know).

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Save the file to PDNet (rename) as default PNG. Make your changes and save as 8-bit BMP file. BMP files are the best files not to lose colour hue and sharpness.

I agree with polymath's last post but hope the experts can expand on the info.

Like this post
Yimbo

Likes # 0

strong textThanks folks for your help!

I'm going down your route eedcam, with Ifranview. I'm following you, down to the "you can now choose the actual size ...." Using the Edit button gives me no "resize/resample" to set the new size.

Am I mising something? I really appreciate your helpstrong text

Like this post
eedcam

Likes # 0

Sorry Yimbo my error once you have the selected area around the face and you have sqeezed teh lines in as much as needed go back to edit >crop selection then go to Image (not edit) and resize /resample will be there

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Evernote Skitch: the best way for creatives to doodle feedback