We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free video capture/editing sotware

fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Pulling my hair out trying to find free video capture/editing software that actually works. All I want to do is transfer video from my camcorder to hard drive/dvd. Thought I had found a good one in AVS,great for editing etc,but try to put it onto disc/hard drive and it wants to put a watermark right in the middle of the finished product unless you pay to upgrade. Windows Movie Maker can't find the camcorder and Windows Live Movie Maker doesn't have a capture facility. Have tried quite a few others,some have no capture and just look for files already on computer,and some just freeze as soon as you click on something. Does anybody know of anything that will work on Vista please?.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Lazarus The 2nd has raised a good point. How are you connecting the camcorder to your PC? Is it via Firewire or USB?

You might also want to look at the Serif Support Site

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Connecting by usb with a 'grabber'. After I posted yesterday I realised I hadn't installed the software for the grabber on the new computer - what a plank - but it still doesn't work!. It is called 'Honestech' and when installing it comes to the point where you put the 'product key' in where you have to double click on the desktop icon all it does is open the programme,so I can't put the product key in. Neither does it appear in the 'device manager' when checking if the drivers are installed early on in the process,despite rebooting. It installed OK on my old computer,running Vista SP2,but seems to be having problems with the new laptop running '7'. It's a shame as I bought this new laptop specifically for this job,as it has a lot more RAM than the old one,so should be up to the job. Obviously all the time I am unable to put this product key in,it's never gonna install properly. I'll keep on trying though.

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

By the way.the grabber is supposed to be compatible with Windows 7.

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

I've been to the Honestech website,I may have to download some updated drivers for the grabber. Will try tomorrow - but don't hold your breath!!.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Here is the Honestech Windows 7 compatibility page and one of the items is asterisked and states that a driver update is required for the Vidbox-NW3. It so happens that I use this driver with an Easycap device and I find that it works fine with Win 7 and Serif MoviePlus X5. Certainly worth a try.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...