We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Free video capture/editing sotware

fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Pulling my hair out trying to find free video capture/editing software that actually works. All I want to do is transfer video from my camcorder to hard drive/dvd. Thought I had found a good one in AVS,great for editing etc,but try to put it onto disc/hard drive and it wants to put a watermark right in the middle of the finished product unless you pay to upgrade. Windows Movie Maker can't find the camcorder and Windows Live Movie Maker doesn't have a capture facility. Have tried quite a few others,some have no capture and just look for files already on computer,and some just freeze as soon as you click on something. Does anybody know of anything that will work on Vista please?.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Not knowing which other programmes you have tried I would try this from Serif

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Thanks chub_tor. I've downloaded it,but it freezes as soon as I try to do anything with it. I'm thinking that there must be something wrong with the computer for this to keep happening. I've uninstalled all the other editing software so there shouldn't be any sort of conflict. I'll have to get someone to have a look at the thing. Thanks again,Serif looks good.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

Capturing and working with video is hard on the graphics and storage components. Make sure that you have the latest Vista drivers for your graphics card, you will need an absolute minimum of 2Gb RAM and even this may not be enough if your graphics is integrated into your motherboard. Make sure that you have plenty of free hard drive space available and preferably defrag your hard drive before you start on each project.

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

I've just done a system health check and it's telling me that the 'system is experiencing excessive paging. Cause - the available memory on the system is low. Details - the total physical memory on the system is not capable of handling the load. Resolution - upgrade the physical memory or reduce the load'. A bit further down it tells me that I have 206 mb of memory available. So obviously nowhere near enough memory then!. Now I'm stuck!!. Help. Is memory something you can buy?. I'm going to bed.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

The best option on memory is to go to the Crucial web page, and let it check what memory you need enter link description here and will check what memory you have and suggest upgrades.

Terry

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

I've just realised that my PC only has 1gb of ram. Time for a new computer then!!. The one I have my beady eyes on has 8gb of ram and a 1tb hard drive. That should do the job. Thanks for your replies again.

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

Terry - I just went to the Crucial website and did the scan, It tells me I have a memory slot spare and I can have a maximum of 4gb. That's handy - a lot cheaper than a new computer. Thanks again.

Like this post
Terry Brown

Likes # 0

This is not a capture but an edit program which may help.

www.lightworksbeta.com

You will need to register before use.

Terry

Like this post
fatgeezer

Likes # 0

I've got the new laptop with 4gb RAM and all the rest of it,downloaded the Serif programme,and still no luck. It will capture the webcam,but can't find any other devices when the camcorder is plugged in and running. I have to buy a 'codec' or something to make it work. So much for free software!!. Am I really asking too much for a free programme that will capture and let me edit?. Have tried a few others but it's the same problem every time - no capture,even Windows movie maker doesn't seem to have a capture facility. I give up.

Like this post
Lazarus The 2nd

Likes # 0

If you are Capturing Video VIA Firewire (IEEE 1394 / i.LINK), and your New Laptop has Windows 7 as an OS,

Try this,

Open Control Panel, Device Manager, Open up IEEE1394 Bus host controllers,

On mine, I had One Item, "NEC 1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller",

Yours could be set to that, or "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller"

If it is one or the other, Right Click on it, Click on Update Driver Software...,

Click on Browse my Computer for Driver Software,

Click on Let me pick from a list of device drivers on my computer,

(This is the one you want) Click on "1394 OHCI Compliant Host Controller (Legacy)", Click Next,

Click Close.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

3 of the best portable chargers: a solar power charger, a hand-cranked charger, and how to charge...

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 review: Hands on with the iOS 8 beta

IDG UK Sites

Thinking robots: The philosophy of artificial intelligence and evolving technology

IDG UK Sites

Sharknado 2 VFX: how The Asylum created CG flying man-eating sharks