We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disappearing programmes?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good afternoon,

I have created I think a silly problem for myself. Several days ago it was suggested that WinASO was worth downloading and running to clear the registry and do a host of other things. Well I downloaded it, installed it and ran it a couple of times and I am very impressed with it. It does a marvellous job, and I am not going to get rid of it! BUT I think it has created my problem. When you click on start a box appears and on the left hand side appear the programmes that you regularly use – or so I thought! But since running WinASO this half of the box that appears on my computer is blank. I am assuming it was WinASO, but it may have been Ccleaner or something else. The point is I would like those programmes to re-appear and I don’t know a) how to make them re-appear or – and just as importantly – how to stop them being deleted in the future. If anyone has an idea/help/advice/information as to how I can correct this silly situation I would be very grateful.

[ Talking of sillies – and this has nothing to do with my query – has anyone else noticed that when you post a question and come back into the forum, no matter how fast, then your question has had ‘2 views’! I mean how is this possible, I have come back to a query with the forum saying 12 or 15 seconds ago, and yet there have been ‘2 views’. Either we must have some lightning quick posters or PCA is trying to cheer us up by inferring that other people are interested in your problem. I would like to know if anyone has any idea on this. Many thanks in advance. ]

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You don't say which OS.

But try right clicking on start and then select properties. On Start menu tab choose customise and then you should see something like "number of recent programs to display". This has probably been set to zero. You can set it to how many you want.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

Many thanks, I see I am still brain dead! I am using windows 7, Home Premium 64Bit and your advice worked! The only comment is that the 'Number of recent programmes to display' was 'greyed' out, but if you tick the 'Privacy' box BEFORE you click on 'customise' the zero I had turned to 10. Will now wait to see what builds up in the box.

Being a bit nosey now, but do you know if you can choose the programmes that appear or do you have to take what the computer gives you? As I say just being a bit nosey!!

Anyway many thanks again, for your advice and help - which I have no doubt I will be wanting again in the future!

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I think that you have to take the ones that it gives you but you can pin a program that you regularly use to the start menu How to pin a program

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Its cleared as part of using CCleaner - just untick the option in CCleaner and the programs will stay here (not reappear your just going to have to rebuild the list by using the programs again)

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell and Fruit Bat /\0/\

Gentlemen,

Many thanks for your help and assistance. I will just let the computer build up the list but watch what I am ticking in Ccleaner.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony Xperia Z3 Compact review: A better deal than the Z3 and most smartphones

IDG UK Sites

Why people aren't upgrading to iOS 8: new features are for power users, not the average Joe

IDG UK Sites

Framestore recreates ancient China for Mr Bean's martial arts misadventure

IDG UK Sites

iPad Air 2 review: Insanely fast and alarmingly thin. Speed tests, camera tests and more