We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Desktop/Laptop

Tel33

Likes # 0

Our desktop is connected by modem to the main telephone socket and we use Firefox, I may have to work from home 3 days a week using a laptop which I suspect will use IE and will need to be connected to the company system all the time so I need to know the following. We have a telephone extension socket in another room, can I connect the laptop to this and what will I need ? Will we be able to use both machines on the same internet connection ? Will this affect my desktops performance which will also be in use by the family and will there be any conflict between different browsers/security systems ? Any other thoughts that I may have missed will also be appreciated Thanks

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

connected by modem to the main telephone socket

What type of modem? is it a modem /router connects by ethernet cable or wireless, or does it connect to your PC using a USB cable? Please give us make and model if known.

Like this post
Tel33

Likes # 0

It's a USB Modem - Zoom Model 5510

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

You will not be able to connect both machines at once using a USB modem.

You best solution may be to swap the USB modem for a ADSL wireless modem routersuch as this.

(assuming the laptop has wireless capabilities)then you can connect anywhere in the house, but for three weeks thats a costly item.

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

You could connect if both PC's are switched on by Networking the for the Internet, by which you laptop would connect through you Desktop, but they would need to be wired together with Crossover cable.

Or best way would be to buy a ADSL wirwless Router

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Only one computer ever links to a telephone line in a household.

Then the computers share the connection.

I had same situation when I bought a new laptop 2 yrs ago. I wanted to upgrade desktop at same time to W7, but my old BT Voyager modem was non-wireless and XP, or earlier, only.

Even if I hadn't upgraded, the only easy/cheap way of linking the computers was by a 10m 'ethernet crossover cable'.

While this was simple enough, living room to directly overhead bedroom, it was a weekend job to do it properly. Simple enough if you can live with trailing cables between rooms.

Home networks these days really should be wireless modem router as standard.

I phoned AOL (Waterford, Sales line, Ireland-Yellow Pages number under ISPs) and explained my 'new laptop predicament'.

'No problem'. They sent me a free wireless modem router. Kept me Unlimited, reduced my pcm from £17.99 to £9.99 and all I had to commit to was not leave for 18 months (now expired)

The 'Router' connects to a telephone line (Master Socket is best)

All other computers connect to it. Wireless or cable. If your ISP won't help, or you prefer to buy, this is best solution.

If you work for a largish company, your IT dept may have one.

Like this post
Tel33

Likes # 0

Thanks for the replies folks, I will probably have to discuss this with the company IT dept.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Stop running out of cellular data on your iPhone, see which apps use the most data