We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which Graphics Card please ?

Furkin

Likes # 0

I thought I’d finished spending on this machine. Just installed: Asus M4A78LT M-LE mobo, AMD Phenom IIx2 CPU, 4Gb RAM, 2 x 1Tb HDDs, OCZ 500 PSU.

The mobo has ‘on-board’ graphics. It only has PCI slots, so my old Nvidia 6200 Graphics card wouldn’t fit anyway, but nor did it have an HDMI interface.

The m.b pcb also shows the word HDMI (though not a connector) next to the DVI slot, so I guess it’s there to use.

Whilst I really didn’t want to spend any more, it looks like I might need a Graphics card – with HDMI. The on-board graphics are pretty good, so any Card needs to be as good or better.

I’m not a gamer & don’t do a lot of image work. The HDMI is to watch unconverted films etc on TV rather than computer screen.

Any ideas on which reasonable card I should consider for this machine please ?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Is this your board? Motherboard if so it has a PCI-Express slot which will mean that you are not short of a choice for graphic's cards. I am assuming you do not want to spend to much.Something here would do GPU

Like this post
Furkin

Likes # 0

Hi G: Yep - that's the mobo. Luckily the only slot I have available is the PCI-Express one (apart from a tiny one next to it, which I have no idea what it is, or used for).

Whilst I don't want to over do it, it has to be a reasonable item - a contradiction in terms maybe - & I went over budget with the re-build & didn't expect to spend anything on it at all. Those SCAN ones look pretty decent for my needs.

My machine is usually on all day, so would it be favourable to get one with a cooling fan ? Is the next criteria the memory size - or what ?

cheers mate

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

It really does not matter whether you get a card cooled by fan or not as you are not going to stress it in any way.Same with the memory. Just go for the best one you can afford.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Where to buy iPhone 6 and iPhone 6 Plus in the UK: Launch day price, deals and contracts

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

Professional photo and video techniques for perfect colours

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: What to do if you pre-ordered...