We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

My Windows 7 System Restore doesn't restore?

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

My Windows 7 System Restore doesn't restore. It allows me to set them and tells me they've been done. But on the couple of occasions when I've wanted to use one, no joy. Yes I know I could possibly do it in 'Safe Mode' but that isn't an answer as to why I can't do it in regular mode?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Are you using a Norton product? I noticed this I think on this site

“Norton applications including NIS2011 will stop other programmes from making changes to the Norton product itself. Norton call this Tamper Protection Norton’s security kicks in when System restore tries to restore to a previous time. In NIS 2011 click on Settings/Miscellaneous Settings/Product Security. Click the status indicator alongside Tamper Protection to switch it off. Apply followed by OK and then try System restore anew. Assuming all is well, reactivate Tamper Protection by following the above”

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Also try temporarily switching off/suspending your Antivirus before proceeding with Restore Point.

Check that it is back on after the restart.

Like this post
chub_tor

Likes # 0

This is likely the result of a startup program conflicting with the restore. Anti-virus and malware/spyware software can try to protect an area of the operating system the System Restore is trying to replace.

I suggest turning these programs off temporarily while performing the restore.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

compumac

I don't use Norton.

robinofloxley

"temporarily switching off/suspending your Antivirus"

That isn't quite as easy as you make it sound. I used to use AVAST and Spyware Terminator. But was advised (on PCA) that I'd be better off getting rid of them and using only 'Microsoft Security Essentials' that came pre-loaded with Windows 7. I'm not sure but I have the idea that to turn one thing off would mean to turn it all off. I've just had a look and even 'MSE' itself make System Restore Points.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

chub_tor - robinofloxley

The last time I attempted to use System Restore was this morning. After it didn't restore I looked for an alternative solution to "As of yesterday afternoon I have problems with Firefox 6" and found the answer. So as of then, I no longer need to do a System Restore at present. But I will bear in mind what you have suggested and if there is a next time, I'll give it a go before posting. Cheers guys.

Like this post  
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

I've just changed from Avira to Avast (again). I may go back (again).

But for both.

Right click the tray icon by the clock. Avira=Disable Guard

Avast=Avast Shields Control, Disable for...

I am sure MSE will be equally easy.

MSE will be configured to start on reboot and that is part of Restore process.

Again just right click the tray icon after your successful/unsuccessful Restore and check it is back on. If not, open MSE in full and hunt around.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

robinofloxley

Cheers

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, price, specs and new features: Invite confirms 9 September launch

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

How Ford designs next-generation cars at its Melbourne Design Centre

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 release date, rumours, video, UK price & images: iPhone launch event confirmed for 9...