We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

As of yesterday afternoon I have problems with Firefox 6

Graphicool1
Resolved

Likes # 0

Windows 7

Everything had been fine, I started a new thread in the 'Helproom' and communicated with Fruit Bat /\o/\ Then between 6 and 7pm I attempted to log into PCA and all I could see was blue text. It was as though the HTML had been turned off. I decided to leave it till today, thinking turning the PC off and on again next day everything would be fine.

It wasn't/isn't. I'm house hunting at present so I regularily check my emails for likely property. I clicked on one in Rightmove, it opened in FF6, I clicked on the slideshow and nothing. To a certain extent I was surprised to see the pictures, as there are no adverts on PCA.

I have now made IE9 my default browser, until I can get this sorted.

Like this post
orsta

Likes # 0

It has been my experience that most things that go wrong with Firefox usually involves an corrupt profile.

Just a thought.

c

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you ran C Cleaner or any optimiser.

I used to get a similar problem after running Winaso optimizer and this was the only way to get it to run properly.

Tools.Options.privacy.Tick all of the buttons on the left hand side except the tracking button.

Switch Firefox off then restart it and see if it makes any difference.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

UPDATE

Problem sorted. I usually clear 'History' and 'Temp Files' at the end of each session. However, for reasons unknown to me, I didn't do it yesterday. I just thought...'I wonder if?'...and ran CCleaner, BINGO! Everything is now how it should be and FF is now my default browser again.

I think I shall put this one down to 'User Oversight'.

Thanx for your thoughts orsa, but it wasn't the answer on this ocassion ¦¬]

Like this post  
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi buteman

We crossed posts. But as you can see from my 'Update' ironically you weren't too far off the mark. However in this case it was because I hadn't run CCleaner.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

It doesn't help that the PCA site is full of 'features' and that latest FFs seem to be up to their memory hogging tricks amongst others.

Keep a couple of spare browsers installed. Unless you are on a donkey's years old machine it doesn't matter. You don't have to use them day to day.

I have IE9 which I hate and never use, but then again I haven't set it up from first use sufficiently. I don't think a couple of minutes before going Yuk is enough.

I found my favourite 2nd browser to be Maxthon 3

Chrome is 3rd.

I hear latest Opera versions are getting better and better too.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

I've tried a few different ones before I settled on FF, I too also have IE9, but I don't use it much. The only reason I keep it is because when I had my old XP PC I made the mistake of getting rid of the IE browser. After that it would let me get any updates.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

That should read... 'WOULDN'T' let me get any updates.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Opera is pretty good. It's quite speedy. I have removed it because some of the sites I use didn't display well with it or in one case not at all. When downloading and installing Opera you have to be very careful about what it sets as defaults eg all jpgs can become set to open in Opera.

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Hi Woolwell

"Opera is pretty good"...liking what I hear.

"It's quite speedy"...even better.

"I have removed it"...Uh Oh, why?

"because some of the sites I use didn't display"...Perhaps I won't try it then.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

Will I be affected by VAT MOSS? Here are the facts for designers and artists

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers