We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Connecting Desktop & Lappy to PVR/TV etc

Furkin

Likes # 0

Whilst looking for advice on trying to run movies from my desktop usb via a Topfield PVR to the analogue TV, I came across a couple of problems.

1/ PC (Win7) to PVR/TV – The toppy can only read .REC files. The films are usually .MP4 so need converting. So far, I can only find out how to do this in two stages: .MP4 to .MPEG, then .MPEG to .REC - using PAZERA. Can I convert .MP4 straight to .REC ?

2/ I have a digital TV in the bedroom, & just realised that I can play unconverted films from the Laptop (Win7) via HDMI. I just tried this & found that there was no audio from the TV. The Lappy audio was fine, so it is being read. I checked the mute/volume on the TV just to make sure it hadn’t gone mute since last night – but that was o.k. Am I missing something very basic here ?

3/ ASUS M4A78LT-M LE M.Board: I have just rebuilt the desktop & used this M.B. I was hoping that it had HDMI. First place to look was the booklet. Not great but it does show DVI as ‘Digital / Analogue’. I use it to a Hanns-G LCD monitor. Can this be utilised to connect PC to Toppy ?

I did a quick search for the M.B & came across a review where it states (& shows) a separate HDMI socket at the other end of the rear panel. I looked in my machine and find that it doesn’t have one. Also, on the pcb - next to the DVI socket - is the word HDMI. I’m guessing that the MB can use HDMI & on the day it was built, was left to the bloke with the soldering iron to put either DVI or HDMI outputs. How do I find out if my MB can use HDMI & where to latch on to it ?

Cheers all

ADMIN: If you think these points needs listing separately, please say so.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Fire HD 6 is a really good value tablet. The Amazon Fire HD 7 isn't. Amazon Fire HD 6 and...

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

ACLU's Halloween-themed animation warns of dangers of ignoring threats to your privacy

IDG UK Sites

20 lesser-known tips for Mac OS X Yosemite: use Yosemite like an expert