We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

changes in google search

elbecko

Likes # 0

lately when i have done a search in google images the result page has changed from what i've been used to. the non google image searches are fine though.

i used to get the usual results and at the bottom of the page i'd have the option to look at more pages. however now instead of page numbers i can go to i get a little bar saying show more results. when i click on that all i get is the same page i've already seen.

also after a few lines of images shown there will be the words page 2, page 3, etc. it never had that before. even the basic layout of the results seems a little different.

i've gone to the search settings and checked that nothing has changed over the last few weeks and everything is the same.

so basically the results of an image search gives me one page of search results and thats it. i cannot access any more pages, just the original page. how can i change this?

thanks.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Same here when I tried it just now - 'More results' at the bottom of the 1st page got more pages to scroll down to from the 1st page. I'd noticed it before, but hoped it was a temporary glitch. I found the old system, with a web page per page (of lots of images) clearer and easier to navigate.

If smaller pages are more popular, fair enough; but there's something funny going on with the number of results. My search got about 5,370, apparently. 'More results' made it 45 pages (and that was all I could get). So about 120 images per page? No, just 18. Where did the other 4,560 results go?

Like this post
Covergirl

Likes # 0

Progress. Google searches have been changing regularly over the months and years. One example - I used to enter the site name (e.g. Facebook) in the search box and hit the "I Feel Lucky" button - this option is still available but works differently.

Progress I tell you!!

Like this post
elbecko

Likes # 0

i just did an image search for the beatles and i got a page of images of around 220. i then clicked 'see more images' and got the same page again. however at the top of the page it mentions that there are over 23 million results!

i'm going to see if there is a google forum and see whats happening.

Like this post
polymath

Likes # 0

Maybe there's some connection with the 'personalisation' trend; the insidious way online companies increasingly serve up stuff based on their crude demographics, and on what we've searched for in the past (making nonsense of carefully chosen keywords). I don't know about you, but I tend to search for things I haven't already found. (Just bought a printer? What you're most in need of just now, apparently, is another printer). The location demographic seems the most difficult thing to shake off. Getting on the internet was a lifeline in this rather isolated place, and the last thing I want is search results getting confined to where I live. Sorry - this isn't much help to elbecko (should be in the Soapbox forum!)

Like this post
elbecko

Likes # 0

i've just posted a thread about these changes on the google forum. from what i've read its been changed for a while and a number of people love it. it would be great if people were given the option to go back if they wanted to the old way.

http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Web+Search/label?lid=1888d47c62bd5001&hl=en

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes