We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sharing files from desktop PC and accessing them on laptop

FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

I’m running Windows Vista Ultimate.

I have a Wireless N router.

I have a desktop PC and a laptop. I’m wondering how I can share files from my desktop PC and access them on my laptop. I’ve went into Network Sharing centre and selected from what I can see, would need to be switched on/enabled for sharing to work, I’ve done the same on the laptop too.

I placed some files and a folder with an easily recognisable named folder in the Public folder on my desktop PC. On my laptop, when I go into the Public folder on that, I do not see the files or the easily recognisable named folder. To me, it just seems like I am looking at the Public folder on the laptop.

I was wondering if anyone could help me with regards to what I’m doing wrong, and also, is it possible to do what I’m wanting to do, i.e. share files from my desktop PC and access them on my laptop?

Thanks in advance.

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Are you going into "Network" (My Network Places) to find the shared folders in the remote computer?

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

When you say remote computer. Do you mean the computer that the files are stored on (in my case, the desktop PC) ?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

The "remote" computer will be whichever computer you are not actually operating and whose files you are trying to access over the network.

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help mgmcc.

I have went into Network (the network icon looks like two monitors one in front of the other, and it has what looks like a pipe going underneath).

Once in here I can see what I'm assuming is my remote computer (desktop PC). But I cannot see the folder, files that I have placed in the public folder on the remote computer (desktop PC).

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

bump

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

Go into Windows Explorer and type into the address bar the name of the computer whose files you're trying to access over the network, using the format:

\\computername

Does that let you see the shared Public folder?

Like this post
FatboySlim71

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help mgmcc.

With the help of a friend, I've got the problem solved, I can now access the files in the public folder on my desktop pc with my laptop and vice versa.

What I was doing wrong was:

I had not ticked the 'file and printer sharing' in Windows firewall on both the laptop and the desktop PC.

Thanks for the help, its much appreciated.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Exclusive: Samsung exits laptop market including Chromebooks

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

How a London VFX studio is ditching desktop workstations for cloud-based creative power

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 tips & tricks: Get to know iOS 8's handy new features