We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message

Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Start-up changed

Snrub
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have noticed a changed characteristic on start up. The icons both on the desktop and toolbar each in turn go briefly blank and then revert to normal as though a 'mexican wave' is scanning them. Malware checks show nothing. Otherwise computer functioning normally. Any Ideas please about what may be causing this sudden but noticeable change ?

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

Laptop, Desktop etc?

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Desktop windows 7

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Is it starting up a bit slower than normal.

I have had that problem with my Medion computer since I got it.

Not sure if it is a faulty Start switch or a faulty PSU with me.

[The icons both on the desktop and toolbar each in turn go briefly blank and then revert to normal]

Thats what happens to me when it does not start right so I have to wait till it installs properly then switch it of. Then switch it back on .I use W/7 64Bit.

Mine is still under Warranty so may contact them if it gets any worse.

Just happened to me again when I switched it on about 10 minutes ago.

I may reset mine to factory settings but don't want to go through all the hastle of Updating and downloading Security programs again.

I suppose it could be a driver problem but everything seems ok in Device Manager.

If it happens to you again maybe a system restore might help.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Yes thanks buteman was also tempted to do a system restore. It is starting up at normal speed with perhaps a couple of seconds when the icons blank out and return as though something is scanning them so suspected malware but nothing showing up. New system so do not suspect psu. It's not much of a problem but just curious why it is happening? So I thought I would put the 'brains'to work on the forum although not much response so far.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

It happens on my Win7 desktop as my security and other software load up and update. It's as if the desktop has second priority and refreshes. Not happening on the laptop but not much loading on startup.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13 that's a thought, might be something like security scan or filehippo scanning for updates although I have disabled filehippo at start-up and do a weekly scan from desktop.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Just restarted my computer and all back to normal will just put this down to an unexplained glitch of some sort.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs 2014

IDG UK Sites

iOS 8 features wishlist: the changes iPhone and iPad users want in Apple's iOS 8

IDG UK Sites

25 Years of the World Wide Web: Happy Birthday, Intenet

IDG UK Sites

Developers get access to more Sony camera features