We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Disabled System Restore

patricklowin

Likes # 0

I am running a HP Compaq dc 5100. On downloading software to speed up my computer it became obvious that it was malware which I got rid of as quick as I could but not before it had disabled the system restore which I can't recover. At the same time on opening up my computer it sticks and windows installer tries to open 'Picture Gallery' and will only boot up if I use task manager to end that task. From then on all is ok.

Patrick Lowin

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Installer Clean up may solve one problem

We need to know what op system XP, Vista, or W7, to advise about system restore.

Like this post
patricklowin

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit Bat, I am running XP on my HP computer Patrick

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

MS

Steps to turn on System Restore

1. Click Start, right-click My Computer, and then click Properties.
  2. In the System Properties dialog box, click the System Restore tab.
  3. Click to clear the Turn off System Restore check box. Or, click the Turn off System Restore on all drives check box.
  4. Click OK.

After a few moments, the System Properties dialog box closes.

Also read here

Like this post
patricklowin

Likes # 0

Thank you Fruit Bat, I tried to restore as you suggested but directly I clicked okay the check box tick appeared again and came it said there was a problem. Is it safe to use restoreguard.com to do the trick

Patrick

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?