We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Build Gaming PC vs Buy stock one

Bobbyejones

Likes # 0

Hi All

You guys help a tonne on my last question so I thought I would come to you again.

I'm currently working on a Mac but obviously that is generally useless if I want to play games or upgrade my hardware.

I haven't got much previous knowledge of building a computer but I know how to fit parts and all the basics etc, just not 100% on what I would need.

Currently for starters I have a 2 year old HP Pavilion Tower. Not sure how much RAM it has, Intel VIIv. No dedicated graphics card but all in all it's in good shape but definitely not ready for gaming.

I was just wondering what would be my best option Money and Outcome wise. Would It be better for me to just buy separate components or just go out and buy a ready made box? I have a realistic budget

Thanks a lot. Just say if you need any more information.

Like this post
Bobbyejones

Likes # 0

Update:

Further inspection, the motherboard as 1x PCIe slot + 2x PCI slots

2GB of RAM ready

ASUS fans.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Useful to know what your realistic budget is. I personally go for the build option for several reasons.

A: I get the components I want,from case to fans to heat-sink etc etc.

B: I derive great satisfaction in researching and sourcing the components.

C: Even greater fun putting it together and booting for the first time.

D: Great way to learn about PC problem solving because there are always some, minor and major.

Whether its makes economic sense, probably not but I cannot see me stopping any time soon.

What is the model HP PC that you have now? If it is just 2 years old then upgrading is a possibility depending on motherboard, speed of CPU,RAM, what wattage is your PSU?

Like this post
Bobbyejones

Likes # 0

The tower isn't originally mine so not 100% on certain aspects.

HP Pavilion Intel VIIv 2gb RAM PSU is in need of being replaced Motherboard is fairly standard, 1x PCIe + 2x PCI slots ASUS cooling systems

I would very much prefer to build it myself as It gives myself something to do and will evidently give me a better understanding of how to go about problems that may arrise.

Like this post
Bobbyejones

Likes # 0

any help?

Like this post
Bazz2000

Likes # 0

Mate I would build it. Whenever you look at pre built systems its always the same "well thats good but i dont want this this and this!" when you build your own its exactly what you want and none of what you dont. The only problem I could forsee is software related. Depending on what you have exactly, you might need to buy a copy of windows 7/xp. Whats your budget exactly and does that include monitor or do you not need another. Depends wether you want it to "work" or be an absolute beast. Price is the main issue. :)

Like this post
Bobbyejones

Likes # 0

I want it to be a beast, but realistically it'll have to be a tamed beast.

I need to buy at a minimum, a PSU, graphics card and RAM. I have around 500 quid to spend at the moment until a bit more money comes in where I can potentially buy a new Processor and cooling system.

It already has Vista, which will do until I get a copy of 7. What are my best options for the bits I need?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

How is this for a start?

Mobo: MSI P67A-GD53 (B3)

PSU: Corsair CMPSU-500CXUK 500W

Ram: Corsair Memory XMS3 4GB DDR3 1600 MHz

GPU: XFX HD 6870 Dual Fan ATI

That lot comes to £475inc delivery. I am assuming you will be using your existing hard-drive but I advise buying a new one installing a fresh copy of vista/Windows 7 then copying your files across then wiping your old dive and using it as a backup.

You really do not need a after-market cooler as the stock ones that come with today's Intel chips are pretty good, but that is up to you. You will have an optical drive so no need to buy one of those, I do recommend getting a new case as if you are going to build a nice PC you will want it to look good. My Case; [Case, OK that's a little over the top price wise but there are some pretty good cases out there for very little money. If you are a student or knows someone who is you can get an upgrade version of Windows 7 for around £40 Widows 7 far better than Vista in my opinion.

Any questions fire away,I'll definitely get back to you.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

8 cheapest 4G smartphones in the UK 2014: Best budget 4G phones

IDG UK Sites

Apple MacBook Air lab tests and benchmarks: 11-inch & 13-inch, 256GB, 2014 Mac laptops tested

IDG UK Sites

How to prank people using Google Glass

IDG UK Sites

Brian Cox to step into will.i.am's shoes with IBC keynote