We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Lost access to Computer properties

Colonel Graham
Resolved

Likes # 0

I recovered my Vista to factory settings last Sunday. I got 'Windows is validated' when I checked (Product Key entered during set-up).

Now I'm getting 'You have xx days to validate' pop-ups. When I click Start, I can no longer right click Computer to select Properties so I can view the staus.

Is this an easy one?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

From MS

If Windows Vista requests activation unexpectedly On rare occasions, you may be prompted to activate Windows Vista on a computer that did not previously require Windows Vista activation or was already activated successfully. For example, this may occur on a computer where Windows Vista was preinstalled by an OEM or Volume Licensing installation and major hardware changes have occurred, such as upgrading the hard disk and memory at the same time.

If you are prompted to reactivate Windows Vista, you can do so by using the Windows Activation Wizard:

1. Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image the Start button , and then click Computer.
  2. Click System properties on the toolbar, and then click Click here to activate Windows now in the Windows activation area.

Collapse this imageExpand this image User Access Control permission If you are prompted for an administrator password or for a confirmation, type the password, or click Continue.

3. Select the Windows Vista activation method that you want, and then follow the instructions.

To prevent this problem in the future, you should obtain the latest service pack for your installed version of Windows Vista, either through automatic updates or direct download.

To update Windows Vista and prevent this Activation problem from reoccurring:

1. Click Start Collapse this imageExpand this image the Start button , click All Programs, and then click Windows Update.
  2. Click Check for updates.
  3. As soon as Windows Vista has found the updates, click the Install updates button.
Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

There's also this,have a look here, Validate help

I can't check it out as I'm using a different OS.

Like this post
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

*Fruit Bat /\0/*

Thanks. I had already found the way to Computer Properties (still wondering why I've lost the right click from Start). It says Windows is activated, but the Product Key is different.

I changed the Product Key and Activated again. But when I look again, it's changed back to the wrong one.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Under "Customize Start Menu", if you scroll down rhe page, you'll see the setting "Enable context menus and dragging and dropping". If this is unchecked, then the pinned items will not work with a right-click.

Like this post  
Colonel Graham

Likes # 0

rdave13

A green tick for that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...