We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 networking problem of access others

compumac
Resolved

Likes # 0

Repeated question in different manner Three PC’s. Main PC (1) with printer connected and shared, wired connection to router, Win7 32bit. Two wireless (2 & 3) Win 7 64bit. All PC’s running exactly the same Security packages and software. Under Network and/or Homegroup:- PC’s 2 & 3 in Exploer can see and access PC1 and use its printer, scanner etc, and also access internet via router.. PC1 can see 2 & 3 in Explorer but if trying to access their content “ Log on Failure; User account restrictions”. On PC1, under Homegroup; “No other homegroup computers are currently available” All Pc's have been set to share specific drives and all drives under Homegroup display the same stated password. I put this query on A network forum but was informed that it was a network problem but a Windows 7 problem! Any suggestions?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Anyone???

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Bump. 41 viewed but no-one offering advice?

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

This query posted onto four forums without reply. Is it a hopeless quest?

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

"41 viewed but no-one offering advice?"

You could have posted in the Networking forum. ;)

It certainly isn't a "hopeless quest". I have four computers networked and sharing folders without a problem. These are running Win7 Home Prem 64-bit, Win7 Home Prem 32-bit, Win7 Starter (Netbook) and XP Pro. However, I haven't used the Homegroup feature at all which, in any case, wouldn't support XP.

I have the same Username/Password in all commputers which simplifies setting the "permissions" for accessing. I haven't really done anything differently with Win7 from what I did with previous versions of Windows. Just make sure that all folders/printers that you want to be available over the network are "shared" and that any firewall software is correctly configured to allow access to the networked computers.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

best place to post windows 7 problems is here. [read their tutorials too as some good ones there]

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

mgmcc I had already posted to the Networking forum two weeks ago without success. Previously I had two Win 7 PC's and three XP PC's all talking to each other without a problem. I have now three Win 7 PC's and one XP PC. My main PC, which is Win 7, indicates that "No other Homegroup computers are available" despite them being seen as an icon in Windows Explorer. If you click on the respective icon in Windows Explorer you get "\RC710 is not accessible". I have never had passwords for this exercise and have never been asked for them. Peromissions are in place for "Everyone". My concern is that the main PC cannot access one of the wireless PC's, albeit that PC can access the main PC.

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

W7 Permissions are a pain, even though they can be setup I still have problems after 2 years nearly. What should work doesn't for me always either.

Have you tried "Add a Network location" shortcut in Explorer top page with all the drives displayed? (right click empty area to get the context menu) This helps then that new shortcuts to it can be created. The Wizards have something 'to bite on instead of coming back with errors.'

You may also know that c:\users\public should be visible and completely unrestricted in all the PCs.

As a way of copying files, it works if inelegant.

Also I often 'Remote' to my other two computers. I use TightVNC (W7 Home does not have Remote desktop). A couple of clicks and I can be 'on' the other computer to do whatever. (you need to set up your IP addys tho. eg one of mine-192.168.1.64 as example)

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Just had a quick look what I have.

My Upstairs PC is called TOWER2002 and has an E: Partition I use and want access to.

I created a Network Location on it called "TOWER2002 E_General"

When trying to create a shortcut to it from another PC, sometimes I found entering the path in the shortcut wizard manually would work fine.

So mine become "\TOWER2002\TOWER2002 E_General" which would go to E:\

Just add folders in the normal way then if you need to do it manually.

eg

"\TOWER2002\TOWER2002 E_General\Users\Videos"

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Just had a quick look what I have.

My Upstairs PC is called TOWER2002 and has an E: Partition I use and want access to.

I created a Network Location on it called "TOWER2002 E_General"

When trying to create a shortcut to it from another PC, sometimes I found entering the path in the shortcut wizard manually would work fine.

So mine become "\TOWER2002\TOWER2002 E_General" which would go to E:\

Just add folders in the normal way then if you need to do it manually.

eg

"\TOWER2002\TOWER2002 E_General\Users\Videos"

Like this post
robinofloxley

Likes # 0

Opps sorry for deja vu

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?