We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Screeching on laptop speakers

EFC1878
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a Toshiba laptop and up until recently I have had no problems. However after playing music I heard an awful screeching noise. Now I find that if the speakers volume setting is low it aoppears fine but when I take the volume a little higher [to the half way point] a terrible screeching nows is heard.

I don't know if I have played the musioc too loud and damaged the speakers - but surely this would occur at all volumes wouldn't it? or if it is either a hardware or software fault. Somebody suggested that I may need to download knew drivers and tnhat may resolve the problem.

Any ideas?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Is the mic muted?

Like this post
Clapton is God

Likes # 0

EFC1878

As far as I can see this is the THIRD time you've posted the same question.

Multiple posts won't get you a quicker answer but it will probably annoy members.

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

No the mic is not muted. Can hear sound ok at low volume level then at a higher level the screeching starts

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

I got an error message when submitting post so resubmitted - it was an innocent mistake and not an intentional multi-postiongn

Like this post
Ventad

Likes # 0

When the speakers screech tap the top of the lid where the web camera/mic is and if you can here the tapping through the speakers the mic is on, or lower the lid when it is not screeching and if it starts screeching confirms mic on.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

Mute the mic. It's probably feedback.

Like this post
wee eddie

Likes # 0

Classic Feedback symptoms.

Turn the Microphone's sensitivity down, you should not really need to turn it off but, on the other hand, there is really little point in having it 'On' when it's not in use.

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

How do I tell if the mic is on? I am using Windows 7

Like this post
EFC1878

Likes # 0

I think you are right about the feedback. Not sure what I have done to turn the mic on however could you advise how to turn the mic off?

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I haven't got W7 but it should be through your sound properties in control panel.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

2015 visual trends: 20 leading designers & artists reveal what should be inspiring us in 2015

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do