We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Rubbish adobe

Housten

Likes # 0

Afternoon,

I am hoping some others are having the same problem as I am. I had a hospital appointment this morning and wanted to check my emails before I left. Apparently adobe don't think this is reasonable because when I clicked on 'Don't allow' their flash programme's dialogue box appears they would appear to think that I don't mean it - even after more than a dozen clicks! In fact even when I clicked on 'Do not show this again' it made no difference! When I started the computer again just now every time the box appeared, it stopped whatever the computer was trying to do. Whilst I have - very, very reluctantly if I may say so - accepted the need to have this flash programme it appears that adobe think they can dictate where, when and how it will be added to my computer. Who do they think they are?? I decide where, when and how programmes get added to my computer NOT anyone else!! If I knew of another flash player that could replace this I would use it! I use 'Fixit' to read some pages and emails so am not averse to using a different/better programme than one which dictates my actions.

And yes I know this is a bit of a rant but when you get a company acting as if they will decide what happens on MY computer then I think they are rubbish, even if their programmes are useful! No doubt some will disagree with me, and I accept that, but they should accept that not everyone wishes to be taken for granted and it's time that some companies realised this fact!!

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Open Adobe Program then click Edit >> Preferences >> Look in the Categories List: Updates it will be the last in alphabetical order = Look in the right and uncheck these settings: Update and Notification check: Do not automatically check for critical updates

Also check the Internet Option. My Advice always get the critical update, but you can do this manually.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Open Adobe Program then click Edit >> Preferences >> Look in the Categories List: Updates it will be the last in alphabetical order = Look in the right and uncheck these settings: Update and Notification check: Do not automatically check for critical updates

Also check the Internet Option. My Advice always get the critical update, but you can do this manually.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Also - If you install the latest version it should stop the "pop-ups"

Like this post
S5W

Likes # 0

Housten, I know how you feel. Recently my five year old machine threw a severe wobbly caused by a complete failure of the graphics card. I reloaded windows7 32bit from my original disc and subsequently was unable to download adobe flash player although it showed as installed on 'C' and in control panel. After a great deal of faffing around I tried to install Adobe 64 bit version: bingo it works a treat. Aren't computers wonderful.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

northumbria61,

Thank you for your reply, but it turns out - unfortunately - to be no good. I thought I had flash on my computer but it isn't an icon on my desktop or on the list of programmes that you get when you click 'Start'. The irony is that having started my computer after getting back I decided to bite the bullet so i clicked 'Allow' when the dialogue box appeared. The box may have disappeared for a whole second, then it was back and mouse pointer was on 'Don't allow', so I am presuming that I don't have it but what I now fail to understand is that the box keeps appearing.

And now I have another problem. I had thought that for the last few weeks I had IE9, but yesterday - or even Sunday - I found out that I didn't so I decided to do a windows update and insatll it as it has been on my list of files to be installed. So there were 2 files to be downloaded. The time taken I assumed that both were downloaded, and then the first was installed and I was asked if I wanted IE9. I won't sat what I thought of such a fatuous question but I said yes. So it started up and said 'Downloading IE9'!! But after waiting till it got to about 10%, it just seemed to stall. so I went onto the internet and I downloaded what I thought was it. This file was only 530 KB or so - against the 36 + MB in up date list! - and it stalled at exactly the same place. So I am going to try again but I thought I would see what had been said about adobe first, and I need to try and calm down as well!! My opinion of adobe is now - if this is possible - much worse. Hair pulling out time has arrived!!

I will update this later - hopefully via IE9!!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Very best Black Friday 2014 tech deals UK: Latest bargains on phones, tablets, laptops and more...

IDG UK Sites

Tech trends 2015: 3D printing grows up

IDG UK Sites

10 mind-blowing Oculus Rift experiments that reveal VR's practical potential

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & other Black Friday tech offers