We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Replacement video card required - what's compatible

Nickelback1

Likes # 0

I have an HP Pavillion Elite m9070.uk-a desktop which is approx 3 years old & the video card has failed & needs replacing urgently.

The current broken unit is a nVidia Leadtek PX 8800 GT with 512 mb on board memory. The power supply to the computer is the original Liteon PS- 5301-08HF unit rated @ 300 watt output.

I need to replace the video card with a newer used single slot nvidia card, what can I use in the newer GTX range as std & not overclocked.

Please advise ?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Is this your PC? HP PC If so your PSU is woefully under-powered so an upgrade there is required. Your board takes a PCI-Express so you are spoilt for choice. It really depends on your budget and what you use your PC for, if you are a gamer etc.

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

Yes it is my computer originally !

I'm now running 8gb memory on Win 7 with the leadtek 8800gt with the original power supply which is Liteon-5301-08HF that has a DC output 300 watt.

There is only a single slot available for a graphic card so an upgade to the new GTX's is not possible ?

So if I stick to the older series what do I go for in 8000 or 9000? If I change, what power supply do I need ?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

You have not mentioned budget and what you use your PC for,if you tell me that I will find what you need.

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

OK, budget is £100 ish approx (used card, new/used power supply) General use for emails, office, photo's etc, not games

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

To be absolutely honest why not just stick another 8800Gt in your PC which is more than sufficient for your needs or if you want an upgrade then 9800gt. Both can be had for around £50 on Ebay and upgrade your PSU to a minimum of 400W

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

Thanks, any recommendation on PSU model type etc ?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Something like this, 450W or 500W

Like this post
Nickelback1

Likes # 0

Thanks, Does the 9800gt need more power than the 8800gt then ?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

8800GT needs 250W but 300w is safer, 9800GT needs 400W but 450+ is safer.It is always best to have a decent PSU and more power than you actually need mainly for stability.

You may find this useful.Power reckoner

Like this post
retep888™

Likes # 0

Why sticking to the old obsolete card? Get this GT220 Nvidia card click here instead and it runs on your old PSU with 300W as well.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

Apple TV setup advice: Apple TV hacks to help you create the ultimate Apple TV hub in your home