We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

I cannot open my emails

1Ssam

Likes # 0

This has never happened before. When I log on I connect very easily and my emails download as usual but I cannot open them or go to the links highlighted on the emails. I thought of contacting my service provider but there is no problem with my connection so I think it must be a problem in my computer. I tried a couple of Go backs to a time when my emails were OK but that hasn`t worked. Can any one suggest anything?

Thank you, 1Ssam

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

We may need to know what e mail client you use and also your op system.

Like this post
1Ssam

Likes # 0

Sorry, I`m not very good at this. I am on Windows XP and using Outlook Express. Is this what you need? 1Ssam

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I realise that this is not a solution to curing the OExpress fault but try downloading and installing Thunderbird and see how you get on

http://www.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/

Like this post
1Ssam

Likes # 0

Thank you ISCANUT I am sure this is the way to go - having read about the problems of trying to reinstall OE on XP.

The trouble is I have tried to create an account on Thunderbird but so far without success. I`ll keep trying . Thank you, 1Ssam

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

If your are used to OE then you may find Windows Live Mail is easier to set up Live Mail

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

Let us know if still having trouble setting up Thunderbird as I am sure we can help.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

Could you have reached the 2Gb limit? Outlook Express 2Gb limit and Don't Let Outlook Express Get Too Big

Like this post
1Ssam

Likes # 0

Thanks you all for your continued interest. I tried Live Mail and as you said, Woolwell, it is easy to install and set up. Unfortunately it has the same problems as my present OE. By the way I can`t get rid of it now! Lotvic,I dont think I have reached capacity yet, but how do I find out. Iscanut,I have decided to go with your suggestion. I downloaded Thunderbird and then botched up creating an account. I thought if I uninstalled it and then reinstalled it I would get rid of the rubbish I had put in but not so. I found a tutorial on setting up a email account but now that I have messed it up I can`t start setting it up from scratch. Any help would be gratefully received. 1Ssam

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

You can uninstall Live Mail See this. But I think that there is a more fundamental problem. Can you view your e-mails using webmail?

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

After installing Thunderbird, click on Tools, then Account Settings. for account name you can put in your email address For Outgoing Server you need to put in the detail provided by your ISP, it will be something like smtp.server name@something...

Then Click on Tools, Server Settings and under Pop Mail server you need to put in the detail provided by your ISP. Will be something like mail@server name.something Then work through all the other options and select what you want regarding mail box etc... Hope that helps. As Woolwell says, if Live Mail ( Hotmail ) does not work for you, then there is an underlying system problem

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...