We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

dead laptop -any suggestions

staples printer cartridge

Likes # 0

A friend of mine has a laptop which kept crashing and asked me to help. Firstly there was no antivirus so I tried to install AVG to see if there was a virus on it. However, when I tried to restart after installing I can't get windows to start.

It is old - has XP and she has no original discs. I am not sure what to do next as I get the windows logo and then it just turns off. I get the Start Windows Normally/Safe mode etc but the same thing happens no matter what I choose.

Any idea what I can do next? Thanks Tom

Like this post

Likes # 0

PS I have kaspersky AV but I have windows 7. Can I create a rescue disc from this and try and boot her laptop from that?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

No

You need to borrow a XP CD (same genre Home Pro or Media) and do a repair install.

Repair XP by install over the top of existing system

1. Boot the computer using the XP CD. You may need to change the boot order in the system BIOS so the CD boots before the hard drive. Check your system documentation for steps to access the BIOS and change the boot order.

2. When you see the "Welcome To Setup" screen, you will see This portion of the Setup program prepares Microsoft Windows XP to run on your computer:

To setup Windows XP now, press ENTER.

To repair a Windows XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.

To quit Setup without installing Windows XP, press F3.

1. Press Enter to start the Windows Setup.

To setup Windows XP now and Repair Install , press ENTER.

DO NOT choose "To repair a Windows XP installation using the Recovery Console, press R", (you Do Not want to load Recovery Console).

1. Accept the License Agreement and Windows will search for existing Windows installations.

2. Select the XP installation you want to repair from the list and press R to start the repair.

3. Setup will copy the necessary files to the hard drive and reboot.

Do not press any key to boot from CD when the message appears.

Setup will continue as if it were doing a clean install, but your applications and settings will remain intact.

Repair XP http://www.michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

That sounds like the boot sector on the hard drive has become corrupt any idea what make the drive is, you should be able to remove a small panel on the bottom to be able to see it.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Hi thanks for the reply. Somehow windows started after an hour or so of not trying. Now I can't even install an AV program to see if that is the problem. It begins to install and then I get the Windows has an error report. Any help on this front?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

With no AV or Anti malware installed, its probably so badly infected that you would be better off formatting the drive and reinstalling XP from scratch.

Also install Microsoft security Essentials its free and auto updates back it up with malwarebytes free.

Like this post

Likes # 0

Ok thanks. Thing is she is replacing it in about a month and I just said I would try and get it useable till then, so reformatting is not really going to be useful at this stage. Thanks anyway. Tom

Like this post
woodchip

Likes # 0

Have you tried running System Restore back to before you tried loading AV?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

useable till then, so reformatting is not really going to be useful

then a repair install is all you an do

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Videos leak as Microsoft sets 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

IBC 2014 news: video post, CG and VFX news from Adobe, Blackmagic, Eyeon and more

IDG UK Sites

Retina MacBook Air release date rumours and specs: Gold 12in Retina MacBook Air almost 1cm thinner...