We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Data Loss compensation?

1248fixx

Likes # 0

In April I purchased a Westen Digital 2TB internal SATA drive. I then moved (NOT COPIED) approx 1.4 TB of data onto it from 2 x 1Tb external drives. After only 3 months the new drive totally failed and I've just heard that a professional data recovery company were only able to retrieve about 100 Gb from it. I do understand that I can get a refund on the drive itself, but I've also been told that Western Digital cannot be persued for any compensation for the data loss, even though it was only 3 months old when it failed. Is this really true?

many thanks

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

I`m afraid it probably is true. I had the same bitter experience with a Freecom Drive several years ago which failed within a couple of months. Fortunately I had another backup of most of the data but some archived stuff I lost. Most HDD manufacturers have limited warranty and consequential damage is certainly excluded.

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

It is essential that any data you cannot afford to lose is on at least two storage devices.

Trying to persuade people of this is difficult...

...until they experience a total failure and accompanying data loss.

It is harsh but the loss of the data is your fault not Western Digitals

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

If I recall rightly, there was a similar lost data question by another forum member a year or two ago. I think in the end they didn't get anywhere with resolving their problem, mainly because it would have cost more to try and retrieve the lost data that what the replacement hard drive was worth.

Like this post
BRYNIT

Likes # 0

No Manufacturer would guarantee data loss from a Hard drive as the drive could last anything from a few minuets to several years.

As they cannot guarantee the product will be free from defects they give a guarantee against defective parts this can be 12+ month.

IMO if data is completely lost you have no proof the data was ever on the hard drive also how do you value the data.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Why Apple shouldn't be blamed for exploitation in China and Indonesia