We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Win 7 Defrag versus Diskeeper

compumac

Likes # 0

I have been using Diskeeper Pro for some years now to automatically in the background to defrag my hard discs. It has always worked well wihout any interaction on my part. My version of Diskeeper is not the latest version and I have been wondering as to update it, but there have been comments that the defrag contained within Windows 7 negates the need for something like Diskeeper. Anyone care to comment?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Why defrag?

you should very rarely need to defrag (I haven't for at least the last 6 years)

Like this post
Graphicool1

Likes # 0

compumac

You only need to defrag if you are always installing and uninstalling software.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

I would stick with Diskeeper, I too have used the Pro version for some years, does a good job.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Fruitbat/\0/\ I have always defragged my PC's since the early eighties and it is hard not to continue to think along the same lines when you really needed to defrag, so it a force of habit.

Graphicool1 You could be right - I certainly do not install/uninstall software as I used to.

Nontek I have already downloaded and installed Diskeeper Pro 2011. I like it because it defrags in the background with no input from myself.

Like this post
mooly

Likes # 0

I just use windows own (Vista, W7 is similar) from a command prompt. Once it's run once and done defragged all file sizes subsequent runs are quick at around 2 to 3 minutes for me.

What's nice is it tells you the state of the fragmentation. Try it :)

From an elevated command prompt just type the following and press enter.

defrag c: -v -w

Like this post
bubblebubble

Likes # 0

The in-built is ok but definitely not as good as diskeeper 2011. The problem i've always had with the in-built is that it is way too slow and does not always make much difference. In fact it is a very 'lite' version of diskeeper! One of the best things about diskeeper now is that it prevents most fragmentation from occurring in the first place. This actually makes it much better than just a defragger and it further prolongs the life of your hard-drive.

Like this post
compumac

Likes # 0

Frtuitbat/\0/\ Another thought - In the early days when your PC was slowing down there were two things to do, - find and remove old/tmp etc files and defrag the PC. Inevitably the PC did perform a lot more quickly after that.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

The 30 best TV shows on Netflix UK: Our pick of the best programmes you can watch right now

IDG UK Sites

Nostalgia time: Top 10 best selling mobile phones in history

IDG UK Sites

VFX Emmy: Game of Thrones work garners gong for Rodeo FX

IDG UK Sites

Apple 13-inch MacBook Pro with Retina review (2.6GHz, 128GB, mid-2014)