We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Windows 7 Backup problem 0x80070002

Spock999

Likes # 0

For some reason the windows 7 backup process has started to give me an error 0x80070002 (System can't find the file specified). I am tryting to back up my c drive & datafiles. It also cites the backup disk I was using. I have looked online and found a Microsoft Support link that covers this error http://support.microsoft.com/kb/979281, however the solution doesn't work!

I have tried changing the settings but no luck.

Any advice?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

That error code means that a file that initializes the component being accessed is corrupt or missing.

Try running the System File Checker which will replace and missing or corrupt system files.

Go to Start and type cmd.exe In the results, right click the cmd.exe file and select the Run As Administrator option. In the command dialogue, type the following.

sfc /scannow

Press ENTER.

Like this post
Spock999

Likes # 0

Tried that. It didn't find any errors but I tried backup again just in case. It failed showing the same code & info.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Have a look here: Microsoft or loads more: Google Of course the simpler way would be not to use Microsoft, who are quite crap at this sort of thing and use something like Dropbox or Acronis or Easeus.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best January sales 2015 UK tech deals LIVE: Best New Year bargains and savings on phones, tablets,...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Best Photoshop Tutorials 2014: 10 inspiring step-by-step guides to creating amazing art,...

IDG UK Sites

Mac tips tricks & hacks: 10 things you didn't know your Mac could do