We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

limited or no internet

harps1h
Resolved

Likes # 0

I have a dlink modem/router through which I connect this system via ethernet. However, I revived an old computer yesterday for the sole purpose of using it as a method of running admin tools whilst gaming. This connection is wireless, using a belkin G pci adapter. This is where I get the message, and having tried various methods including a winsock fix, it just will not connect to the internet.

Has anybody any ideas, I don't care if they are ones I have seen suggest them so I can say whether or not I have tried them. Something inside me says it maybe the router stopping internet access, but what it is I am not too .

The OS is windows XP Service pack 3

Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I assume the actual message is "Limited or No Connectivity"? This means that the network adapter has failed to get its proper IP address by DHCP from the router and Windows has defaulted to allocating a 169.254.x.x APIPA address (Automatic Private IP Addressing). This address won't let you connect to the router or the internet.

As you're using a wireless connection, have you actually Connected to the wireless network, i.e. checked for Available Wireless Networks, selected the one whose SSID matches that of your router and selected the option to Connect to it? You'll be prompted to enter any WEP/WPA/WPA2 encryption key and should then connect and get the IP address and internet access.

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

The windows tool is telling me I am connected to the network, but when I try to access the internet I am stopped. The Belikn utility also tells me I am connected, but you are right about the 169.254 address. It shows that as the address of the connection.

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

here is the results of my ipconfig/all

Microsoft Windows XP [Version 5.1.2600] (C) Copyright 1985-2001 Microsoft Corp.

C:\Documents and Settings\Harpur>ipconfig/all

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : harps-991e171b4
    Primary Dns Suffix  . . . . . . . :
    Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Unknown
    IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : No
    WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Wireless Network Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix  . :
    Description . . . . . . . . . . . : Belkin 802.11g Network Adapter
    Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-11-50-3D-6A-1D
    Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
    Autoconfiguration IP Address. . . : 169.254.97.118
    Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.0.0
    Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . :
Like this post
mgmcc

Likes # 0

I think it still comes back to your not having Connected properly to the wireless network (router).

Are you using Windows' own "Wireless Zero Configuration" to connect, or third-party software provided with the WiFi adapter? My preference with XP is to use WZC, but some third-party software takes back control of the wireless networking when the PC is booted and the only way to resolve that is to remove the software.

Like this post
harps1h

Likes # 0

you were right. I decided to go back to basics and looked at the installation. Here I found my mistake.........there was one character wrong in my hex code. A basic and fundamental mistake I know, but one which is made commonly. So problem solved and thank you for your input.

Like this post  

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday and Cyber Monday 2014 tech deals UK Live: Best Black Friday deals from Apple, Amazon,...

IDG UK Sites

Why are people still buying satnavs? Smartphones are the modern satnav

IDG UK Sites

New Star Wars trailer: Watch the VFX-laden teaser for The Force Awakens

IDG UK Sites

Black Friday 2014 UK: Apple deals, Amazon deals & Black Friday tech offers UPDATED