We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Sata Hdd not seen in Bios

clucker

Likes # 0

Hi. I have changed my Motherboard and cpu (Asus P5G41T-m LX & Intel E6600), All other parts are original; 200Gb Sata Hdd (data Storage only), 500Gb sata Hdd, (Windows 7 O/s installed)& 2 Opticle drives on IDE.When the system boots and I go in the Bios the 2 Opticle drives are identified on the IDE but only the 200Gb Hdd is recognised, the 500 Gb Hdd is not recognised, I have tried different sata & power leads and all different configurations in the Bios to try and "find" the Hdd. It is still not seen in the Bios, any ideas anyone..?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Sometimes you have to Enable some SATA ports in the BIOS.

If your booting from a SATA drive boot files need to be on the first SATA port (0)

Like this post
clucker

Likes # 0

The Motherboard auto detects Sata, there is nothing I can do in the Bios, how do I get drive boot files on the first sata port.?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Which drive is your op system on? 500G or 200G this is the one that needs to be in the first port (0) may be marked as 1 on the board.

if it boots to windows then its already in the first port.

Like this post
clucker

Likes # 0

The O/S is on the 500Gb, Windows 7, it is plugged into Sata 1,the first port, the pc does not boot to windows, if I dont hit delete to bring up the bios it sits at a black screen with a cursor flashing in the top left corner,(looks like the Dos screen). it is strange as it recognises the 200 Gb drive which only holds data, no O/S..! The 500gb drive is a Seagate Barracuda 7200.11. I have tried removing the jumper on the drive so it operates at 3Gb/s, still no joy..!!

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Plug 500 into SATA 2 and 200 into SATA 3 and see what happens

Like this post
clucker

Likes # 0

Still not detected, but 200Gb drive is in 3. Have also tried different combinations of drives in various Sata ports, also have tried the 500 drive in each port without the 200 drive connected.

Like this post
clucker

Likes # 0

Bump

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Looking like the 500G drive is kaput.

Like this post
PcTestCard.co.uk

Likes # 0

Is there any bios update needed for the new mobo to see the 500gb Sata?

Cheers! Bill

Like this post
clucker

Likes # 0

Don't know Bill.!!

Although I have tried the drive in another PC and I could hear the drive spinning but could not see it in "My Computer" Might be because the PC was running Windows XP.??? (HDD has Windows 7 on it)

If there is a Bios update how could I install it, all the advice I have seen about Bios updates refer to installing via floppy drives and this board does not have a floopy port, not that I have a floppy drive any way, not used one for many years.

(Asus P5G41T-m LX)

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Amazon Kindle Voyage release date, price and specs UK: a high-end eReader with Amazon’s best-ever...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

How to successfully bridge the gap between clients and creatives

IDG UK Sites

How to update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8: including how to install iOS 8 if you don't have room