We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Unable to open PDF documents in word

J. I.

Likes # 0

Whenever I am sent a PDF document and try to open in word doc it appears as set of numbers and what looks like chinese fiqures.I have Adope reader x and Microsoft office word 2007. I have tried suggestions through Google search but so far nothing works. Is there anything which I am missing which will allow me to open these PDF files in plain English. My computer is Windows 7 home premium. Some of the PDF files are important to me so am desperate to sort the problem out. Can anyone tell me how I can overcome this problem. Many thanks joni

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I use the free Foxit: PDF reader

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

As you have already found out, you can't open PDF files in Word, it comes up with gobbledygook, you need a standalone reader like gengiscant posted or Adobe Reader.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I notice in your post you already have Adobe Reader, so what happens when you just double click on a PDF file? It should just open with Adobe Reader, if it doesn't then the file needs to be associated to open with Adobe, right click on the file and select open with and tick the box to say always use this program to open this type of file.

Like this post
J. I.

Likes # 0

Tried the suggestion by gengiscant Foxit, made it the default reader and it worked fine. Many thanks for recommending such a brilliant program. To reply to the other posts, when I right clicked on the file it only gave me the option to open, not open with, needless to say it produced the same result as left clicking.Also I have Adope reader x installed but for whatever reason would not open PDF files. Thanking you all for your inputs.

joni
Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

O2 to sell exclusive red HTC One M8

IDG UK Sites

iTunes 12 release date & rumours: When is iTunes 12 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

Welcome to the upgrade cycle - you'll never leave

IDG UK Sites

Why smartphone screens are getting bigger