We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Device Driver Problem or Hardware?

Onizuka

Likes # 0

My PC is a Dell XPS 420 running Windows Vista Home Premium (Service Pack 2) with all available Windows updates. I have also a Dell Studio 1555 laptop running Windows 7 Home Premium (Service Pack 1), and an Epson Stylus Photo PX720WD printer. Even when the laptop is within feet of the D-Link wireless router the network connection frequently fails and my network does not show up although those belonging to neighbours do. Most of the time the PC will not connect to the printer and neither will the laptop when the connection drops out. However, when the PC is switched off and I start up only the router and the laptop, the signal strength from the router is at the maximum and the laptop has no difficulty connecting to the internet but it does lose connection to the network as soon as I try to send a document to the printer.

In the PC’s Device Manager under “Network adapters” the following are listed:

6TO4 Adapter

6TO4 Adapter

6TO4 Adapter

Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection

Isatap.cable.virginmedia.net

Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2

and all except the Intel(R) 82566DC-2 Gigabit Network Connection have yellow exclamation marks next to them.

Starting at the first 6TO4 Adapter I have clicked on Update Driver Software and each device, down to and including Microsoft 6to4 Adapter #2, is reported to have the best driver software already installed and up to date. However, clicking on Properties on every device gives “This device cannot start (Code 10)” and clicking on “Check for solutions” informs me “Could not load driver software”.

Further down the Device Manager list under “Sound, video and game controllers” is “IDT High Definition Audio CODEC” and this also has a yellow exclamation mark next to it. Each time I boot up the PC the message appears “Found New Hardware – IDT High Definition Audio CODEC” and Driver Software Installation starts automatically but fails. “Sound” in Control Panel says “No audio devices installed”. This is a mystery as the sound worked perfectly well until quite recently and I have not made any changes.

I am at a complete loss to know what to do or where to go next.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

From Msoft

6to4 adapter is a component used for transmitting IPv6 packets trough IPv4 network correctly.

In some scenarios, there will be a code 31 or code 10 error appearing beside this component. A possible reason is, the network adapter doesn’t support this feature. You may update the driver for your network adapter or chipset, and then try to uninstall and reinstall the this component.

To uninstall the component, right-click the item in Device Manager and select Uninstall.

To reinstall the component, in Device Manager, Action – Add Legacy Hardware – Next – “Install the hardware that I manually select from a list” – Network adapters – Microsoft – Microsoft 6to4 Adapter – Next – Finish the wizard.

If the steps above doesn’t solve the problem, your network adapter is not a supportive one for this component. You can completely ignore this error, if there isn’t IPv6 network deployed in the environment. The error won’t affect your system.

To remove the error message, please right-click the Command Prompt and run as administrator, type the command netsh in 6to4 set state disable, press Enter. The component will be disabled and hidden.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

LG G Watch review: Android Wear smartwatch is the best around, so far

IDG UK Sites

How to join Apple's OS X Beta Seed Program: Get OS X Yosemite on your Mac before public release

IDG UK Sites

Why the BBC iPlayer outage was caused by a DDoS attack: Topsy and Tim isn't *that* popular

IDG UK Sites

See Glasgow 2014 in UHD as history is made