We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Computer Centre bogus call?

collinsc

Likes # 0

Hi My parents have been getting calls from an indian call centre telling them they have a virus on their PC, and as they are affiliates of microsoft they will talk as through clearing the virus.

Sounded unlikely, so i told my parents to ignore it, i had an interesting conversation with the "call centre" when they happened to ring when i was there earlier and i asked what microsoft OS we were running and what our address was and they said "i dont understand what you are saying, speak to my supervisor" - then i hang up.

has anyone else had similar calls to this?

thanks

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

thanks

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

There have been several Posts on here about these type of scams. Microsoft or anyone else associated with Microsoft would never ring you. They are nearly always from an Indian Call Centre or a person with an Indian Accent.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

If you type Microsoft Telephone Scams into the PC Advisor search box you will see several examples there.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

I just ask why Microsoft would be phoning about Ubuntu.

Silence, and they hang up!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

An example

link text

Like this post
proudfoot

Likes # 0

When I get a cold call, I say "Oh hang on a minute there is someone at the door". I put the phone near the radio or TV and leave it there for 10 mins. or so. By that time they usually have got fed up and cleared the call.

Like this post
collinsc

Likes # 0

thanks for responses. so, what are they actually trying to do? get money out of us for carrying out their instructions to "clear the virus"?!?!

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

In a word, Yes - plus they are probably looking for any bank details they can find for further robbery, or identity theft.

Like this post
Nontek

Likes # 0

PS - and in any case - there is no virus to get rid of! Though after such a call, it is always advisable to run Virus and Anti-Malware scans.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Nokia branding killed in place of 'Microsoft Lumia': Windows Phone moves into new era

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should you update your iPhone or iPad to iOS 8? iOS 8.1 brings back Camera Roll, adds Apple Pay in...