We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Ubuntu not accessing Win7 shared folder

sorceror7374

Likes # 0

I'm a complete Linux newbie but reasonably proficient with Windows. I've set up a laptop with Ubuntu 10.04 32bit and shared specific folders on my Win7 PC. Everything should work okay as they both can see each other, but when I try on Ubuntu to access the Win7 shared folder it asks me for username and password. In Win7 I'm always logged in as Administrator with no password set and Ubuntu won't let me connect to it leaving the password blank. It just keeps asking for my username/password over and over again without any kind of error message. It doesn't come up with 'access denied' or anything, it just keeps refreshing the username/password login/connect gui so I can't say which side of the fence the problem is occurring on though I suspect it's on the Ubuntu side. Any ideas on how to get around this?

Like this post
Simsy

Likes # 0

I have a feeling that you might have to set a password in Windows... Without it Windows thinks it's not secure and wont share the folder, (even with other Windows users).

With apologies if I've got that completely wrong!

Regards,

Simsy

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I'm only guessing at this, it might be a permission thing. Try going to System>Administration>Users and Groups and see if you need your name adding to one of the groups. I have had this problem before with other things and I took me a while to realise what was going on.

Like this post
LastChip

Likes # 0

I've not yet found any way of accessing Windows7 via Linux, other than with a password set.

Set up an account on your Windows7 machine, with exactly the same user name and password as your Linux machine (remember, Linux is case sensitive). You can give it administrator privileges and therefore, enjoy the same access as you do now, albeit via password protected access.

You then need to make sure at least one folder on the Windows machine is shared. If you have Windows7 Home, it may work, but Microsoft have crippled the networking capability, just to make you buy a more expensive version, so it's pot luck. If you're using a domain controller, Windows7 Home is a non-starter.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

LED vs Halogen: Why now could be the right time to invest in LED bulbs

IDG UK Sites

Christmas' best ads: See great festive spots studios have created to promote themselves and clients

IDG UK Sites

Ultimate iOS 8 Tips: 35 awesome and advanced tips for using iOS 8 on iPhone and iPad