We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

HP Laptop - black screen and no boot

onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Was handed an HP Pavillion dv6000 which, on pressing the power button, produced a number of lights but nothing on the screen. After 30 secs or so, it shut down, restarted and went through the same sequence.

I tried all the usual to no effect, deciding the mobo was faulty. Googled the problem the find it was a known issue. What blew me away was the solution – cook the mobo in an oven for 10 mins. Didn’t believe it but, with nothing to loose, stripped the mobo, popped it in, let it cool and re-assembled.

To my amazement, it worked – they call it ‘re-flowing’ apparently. Anyone else come across this?

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

Reflowing I've heard of -

but to get it hot enough to flow solder the plastic would also melt.

Know someone who left a "Thinkpad" on a hotplate in a loco cab , when the locomotive was started laptop got melted before anyone noticed. Case was melted through in places but the machine still worked as it had not melted solder on the connections on the motherboard.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

I have come across cooking before now,particularly when it comes to graphics cards. Have a read: Cooking

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Normally done by infra red Reflowing Video

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Interesting. Obviously only worth a try when all else has failed. Oven temp was 200 C. Non of the plastic sockets appeared damaged (must be some tough stuff). Will wait for a phone call to say it's gone again!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Still working and been given another HP with the same symptoms. Will report back!

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Didn't work this time. Still, it's a last ditch thing to try when all else has failed!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Sorry to hear it didn't work this time. Just charge for the gas and bin it.

Good try though.

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Progress! At about 4 this morning, I suddely couldn't remember locking the CPU back in. Stripped it again (5 mins this time!) turned the screw and, voila, all up and running!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy S5 mini vs HTC One mini 2 comparison review: Design and price beats additional...

IDG UK Sites

Why local multiplayer gaming is rapidly vanishing: we look at the demise of split-screen and LAN...

IDG UK Sites

Colour-depth not resolution is what will make 4K a success or failure

IDG UK Sites

iPhone 6 vs iPhone 6 Plus: Which new iPhone 6 model should I buy?