We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Too many Tabs open?

hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Hi Folks

I have a habit, when I find a page or site that I like, of opening it in a new tab and leaving it open. Instead of bookmarking it, I find that recently Im doing this a lot, and most of the time have up to 20 tabs open in Firefox 3. Is this a bad thing, ie would it make the laptop or browser run slower? Its very handy when you want to go back to a page.

thanks

h

Like this post
bremner

Likes # 0

Firefox 3 does not have the best memory management and each open tab will use RAM. So generally having this many open is to the detriment of your performance.

Open Task manager and have a look how FF3 memory usage increases with each tab.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Not only that but there could be a security issue. A lot of open tabs with no input could be open to bad scripts once you go back to an idle tab.

Like this post
hawthorn59

Likes # 0

Ah.

Was there a way of "managing" tabs or keeping them available, I thought I read it at one point....?

h

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I really think it's best to get into the habit of Bookmarking them, all my Bookmarks are subdivided into named folders to make life easier finding the Bookmark again.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: 30 September marked for unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Gateway to your kingdom: why everybody should check and update their broadband router

IDG UK Sites

Netflix whips up 3D VR viewing room for Oculus Rift during company hack day

IDG UK Sites

Best Mac? Complete Apple Mac buyers guide for 2014