We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Upgrade Video Card

Newuser618

Likes # 0

I wish to upgrade my video card for my 7-year-old Desktop PC. The current one is NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600. The operating system is Windows 7 Service Pack 1. The Mainboard is ASUSTeK Computer Inc. 'P4SD-LA' with 2GB memory. Can anyone recommend a suitable card considering the age of the PC. I play some games but I mainly use Photoshop CS3 for correcting/changing pictures. Many Thanks.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

A good thread to read about the same motherboard. Link

Some AGP cards on Amazon

Check your PSU.

Like this post
Newuser618

Likes # 0

Thank you rdave13 - I am still bewildered by the choice. Have not been able to find the power of my PSU.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

You will need to open the case and check the wattage of the PSU. Usually printed on a sticker.

Here is an image of an AGP card, AGP

PCI-E card, PCI-E

When you open the PC just confirm the slot available is for AGP and I think that a 400 to 500 Watt PSU is sufficient if you go for cards recommended on the thread I linked to.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

I should add that if you need a higher wattage PSU check the dimensions of it so it fits in your case. The first time I did this I labelled all the connections with sticky labels.

Like this post
Newuser618

Likes # 0

Thanks once again rdave13 I can now tell the difference between the cards' connections. The PSU is 500 watt - hopefully I won't have to replace it. I have 1 AGP expansion slot (half used shared PME), 3 PCI expansion slots (1 half used, 2 half available all shared PME). 32 bit, Power is 3.3v. From this I gather I have a choice of cards.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Yes. Check out the reviews on different cards on Amazon. Something like this Scroll down for the reviews or start a new thread asking for advice on the best AGP card for your budget.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

Your 500W PSU is more than enough for any AGP card. These two are probable the best AGP cards(if you can find them)AMD (ATI) 3850 or 4670, though there was a 6800GT AGP too, and,I think,a 7000 series.

Found this, AGP which is silly money to spend on an AGP card.

Like this post
Newuser618

Likes # 0

Thank you both for your recommendations. The AGP found by gengiscant is far more than I could justify paying and I agree silly money. I will let you know what I finally end up with. Many thanks for your help and advice.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

This one looks good and reasonably priced, 4670

Like this post
Newuser618

Likes # 0

The 4670 card you recommend seems to take two slots. Also I cannot find anywhere that says it will be OK with Windows 7. Does this mean that AGP cards do not work well with Windows 7. Would I be better off using a PCI slot.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

OnePlus Two release date rumours: Something's happening on 22 July

IDG UK Sites

13in MacBook Air review, Apple's MacBook Air 2014 reviewed

IDG UK Sites

5 reasons to buy an electric car and 5 reasons not to

IDG UK Sites

Just graduated? Learn all you need to know to kickstart your career in our Creative Graduate Guide