We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

firefox 6 problems - slow spacebar

Markito

Likes # 0

I have Windows XP Pro and have just upgraded to Firefox 6 (from issue 5) having been prompted to do so. I am not at all impressed. The biggest problem seems to be the very slow working speed of the space bar on sites like Hotmail and also this site. In addition I appear unable to use my sign-in / password at all on some sites. Does anyone have a solution to this? If necessary I am prepared to "downgrade" back to version 5 if possible since its speed is similar - if not quicker - and I had no problems with it. Is it possible to do this fairly easily? Thank you.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Hi I run vista but had trouble running latest Mozilla FF. I went back to version 3.6.20 and its faster than the newer version for me any way.

Go back to the version that suits your PC the best.

Go to control panel and Add Remove remove the latest FF and then go to the Mozilla FF site and down load your favourite version for XP.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

This reads better.

Go to control panel and Add Remove. Remove the latest FF and then go to the Mozilla FF site and down load your favourite version for XP.

Like this post
Ex plorer

Likes # 0

Of course you will need a back up browse like IE or Opera etc.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Thanks, Explorer. I went back to Firefox 5 and even tried a version of Firefox 3. Strangely enough, the space bar still runs slowly in Hotmail whichever version of Firefox I now use.

There must be a reason for this, but I can't figure it out.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Have you had a look at your add-ons to make sure they are all working.

I have a couple marked incompatible.

That is under Extentions.

make sure your Ad-Blocker is working.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

In Firefox I checked the adds on, as you suggested. The following are incompatible: 1. various Java Consoles 6. (disabled) 2. Microsoft NET Framework Assistant 1.21 (disabled) 3. Beef Taco cookie opt out Targeted Advertising. 1.3.6 (I have a choice of "options" "disable" or "remove."

Could any of these really have an effect on the space-bar working slowly in Hotmail and other sites? If number 3, which option do I click?

I repeat that I have no such problem using I.E. as my browser.

Many thanks.

Like this post
Markito

Likes # 0

Problem seems to be solved.

I am using an HP laptop and when I disabled the Credential Manager (for fingerprint secure access), the space bar key worked perfectly.

I can't logically see a reason for this, but it works.

Thanks Ex plorer and Buteman for your help.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Sony PlayStation 5 release date, price and specs UK: When is the PS5 coming out?

IDG UK Sites

New Apple TV release date rumours, features: 'new Apple TV next week' rumour

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow