We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which registry cleaner?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning,

I know I will attract some derision but I feel I need a new registry cleaner. To that end I saw, downloaded and installed, RegClean pro. It kept starting up whenever I switched on the computer – OK about 3 or 4 minutes afterwards to be exact – with me in the middle of something else I kept forgetting ( old age ?? ) to look at how to stop it. On this month’s DVD is Ashampoo Registry Cleaner 1.0, so yesterday I decided to test them! I let RegCleaner go and when it had finished it told me there were 157 errors, so I then ran Registry Cleaner and it got 97, so I got it to clean these and then ran it again, when it got another 2, so after fixing these I then tried to rerun RegClean, but all it would do is take me on to its website to buy it, whereas I had thought it was free!!

So what I decided to do was do the reverse this morning and run Registry Cleaner first, and it found 7. I then ran RegClean, and am quite disconcerted by its results. Firstly it said there were 115 errors yesterday, and yet I saw it claiming 157, and when it had run through ( this morning ) it was claiming 120! OK!, I thought you fix them. Some hope, as all you’re allowed to fix are 15. Having done the fix I exited the programme, and then re-ran it, thinking I could do it in groups of 15. No way, it would appear that having run it once today that’s all you’re allowed.

My question – which I hope someone will be able to answer – is : is either of them worth keeping? And if they are not is there – preferably free – a programme that is worth using? I think cleaning/checking/defragging your registry should be a monthly chore, but I have neglected this for some time and hope that someone will point me in the direction of a reliable and accurate programme.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

The October 2011 edition of PC Advisor has a review of registry cleaners. It is worthwhile reading the last para which broadly supports Fruitbat's opinion.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

I also agree with Fruitbat and Woolwell- ie CCleaner.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

remember to defrag the registry for faster boot up. I use winaso reg optimser for that its quick and reliable

Like this post
iscanut2

Likes # 0

I can only add to recommendations about CCleaner..its all you need. When you said CCleaner Registry cleaner did not work, what happened ? It is foolproof !

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

would be nice to see CCleaner get a reg defrag option

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

Thank you for your comments. I don't know if you have tried the link you give but I am not interested in O2 so I suspect someyhing at PCA has gone wrong!! I had missed the article you mentioned and - having just read it - must say that it does make very interesting reading, but I do not think that registry cleaners do so little good. If you install/uninstall many programmes over a fairly longish period the rubbish thats left in the registry must do something to your computer. Granted it may not be slowed down but the possibility of ( say ) crashes I would think have to be increased. Or have I missed something?

The last post I am looking at is from sunnystaines who states that defragging should also be done. Well I do a clear out and then defrag, so maybe it helps, maybe it doesn't but all I know is that I feel happier that the computer has less rubbish or whatever else to flog its way through not only at bootup but whenever access to the registry has to be made. I don't know but I always thought/assumed that every time a new programme was started either by the computer or by the person running it, the registry was accessed and checked for what it was supposed to be doing. Of course if I am wrong no doubt someone will correct me, so I look 'forward' to be being slagged of by some but I would really like it if I was right!!

Anyway many thanks to everybody for their contributions, I think this has been very well worthwhile.

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

I didn't give a link.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

Housten a normal defrag will not defrag the registry you need a special regfistry defrag program

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Woolwell,

!The October 2011 edition of PC Advisor has a review of registry cleaners. It is worthwhile reading the last para which broadly supports Fruitbat's opinion!

In your first post above 'reading' is double underlined and that leads to O2! Which is why I said "so I suspect someyhing at PCA has gone wrong!!" - although I managed to spell 'something' wrong, many apologies, I am putting it down to old age!!??

Like this post
Woolwell

Likes # 0

That's odd because it isn't underlined in my browser FF6 or in IE9.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best Christmas 2014 UK tech deals, Boxing Day 2014 UK tech deals & January sales 2015 UK tech...

IDG UK Sites

Chromebooks: ready for the prime time (but not for everybody)

IDG UK Sites

Hands-on with Sony's latest smartglasses

IDG UK Sites

The 13 most inspirational Tim Cook quotes