We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Which registry cleaner?

Housten

Likes # 0

Good morning,

I know I will attract some derision but I feel I need a new registry cleaner. To that end I saw, downloaded and installed, RegClean pro. It kept starting up whenever I switched on the computer – OK about 3 or 4 minutes afterwards to be exact – with me in the middle of something else I kept forgetting ( old age ?? ) to look at how to stop it. On this month’s DVD is Ashampoo Registry Cleaner 1.0, so yesterday I decided to test them! I let RegCleaner go and when it had finished it told me there were 157 errors, so I then ran Registry Cleaner and it got 97, so I got it to clean these and then ran it again, when it got another 2, so after fixing these I then tried to rerun RegClean, but all it would do is take me on to its website to buy it, whereas I had thought it was free!!

So what I decided to do was do the reverse this morning and run Registry Cleaner first, and it found 7. I then ran RegClean, and am quite disconcerted by its results. Firstly it said there were 115 errors yesterday, and yet I saw it claiming 157, and when it had run through ( this morning ) it was claiming 120! OK!, I thought you fix them. Some hope, as all you’re allowed to fix are 15. Having done the fix I exited the programme, and then re-ran it, thinking I could do it in groups of 15. No way, it would appear that having run it once today that’s all you’re allowed.

My question – which I hope someone will be able to answer – is : is either of them worth keeping? And if they are not is there – preferably free – a programme that is worth using? I think cleaning/checking/defragging your registry should be a monthly chore, but I have neglected this for some time and hope that someone will point me in the direction of a reliable and accurate programme.

Many thanks in advance.

Like this post
sunnystaines

Likes # 0

the main choice of good reg clean is between

winaso reg optimiser, eusing reg cleaner, & iobit ASC

ALL HAVE A GOOD RELIABLE FREE VERSION.

Like this post
Fruit Bat /\0/\

Likes # 0

is either of them worth keeping?

Registry cleaners can cause more harm than good by deleting keys that are needed.

The safest free one I know (and use) is built in to Ccleaner here

CCleaner will do other things as well:

CCleaner (short for "Crap Cleaner") http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner knows exactly where to find the files that slow down your computer. Get a quick understanding of CCleaner's features, and learn how to properly maintain your system to keep your computer quick and nimble.

Step 1: Focus your efforts

For a deep cleaning of your PC, you'll want to get into the nooks and crannies of your system. Using the Cleaner window (the default window when you launch CCleaner), you'll notice several checked boxes that indicate which areas of your computer will be cleaned. Most of the boxes are checked by default, so pay close attention if you only want to scrub certain areas. Tabs at the top offer the ability to clean Windows areas and other applications. Switching between the two tabs allows you to make your choices for a customized cleaning.

When you're done with your settings, click the Analyze button on the lower left to see which items will be cleaned. You'll see every file CCleaner will delete and also exactly how much memory will be returned to your system after the cleaning.

Note: It pays to peruse this list before hitting the Run Cleaner button to make sure you're not deleting something important. When you're ready, hit Run Cleaner and watch CCleaner go to work.

Step 2: Out with the old

The next step in our spring-cleaning protocol is akin to sorting through and cleaning out those old boxes in the garage. Click the Issues button on the left side of the interface to bring up another set of checked boxes. This set of tasks does everything from eliminating unused file extensions to trashing obsolete software. Uncheck the boxes you don't want to scan and click the Scan for Issues button. At the end of the scan you'll be given the option to click the Fix Selected Issues button.

Note: It is highly recommend you save your current Registry configuration at the prompt in case of a malfunction later. An additional window will ask if you wish to delete specific items. If you know of a specific item in the list that is not a problem, simply tell CCleaner not to fix it. Remember, if you save your configuration beforehand a mistake here is easily reversible.

Step 3: Uninstall and Startup manager

Windows comes with its own Add or Remove Programs utility, but it's often slow to load and not the easiest Control Panel item to configure. CCleaner quickly lists all of your active programs, and lets you highlight and uninstall software you no longer want. This part of the program utilizes tools already included in Windows, but the convenience and speed for quick uninstallations is tough to beat.

To manage your start-up programs, click the Startup button under the Uninstall button in the upper left of the interface. You'll see a list of active start-up items that launch when you boot up your system. Be very careful here: some items are not immediately identifiable and you wouldn't want to shut down your firewall, antivirus program, or any other important program.

Once you've run through the entire cleaning process, don't be surprised if your computer runs a bit faster. Depending on the capacity of your hard drive, you'll also free up a shocking amount of space if you haven't run a program like CCleaner recently.

Like this post
rawprawn

Likes # 0

Good afternoon to you Housten, my choice would be WinAso

Like this post
spuds

Likes # 0

I find that CCleaner and Advanced System Care (free version) work very well. Tried many others, but have always returned to those two when completing a quick, easy and reliable clean-up.

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

None.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Winaso Optimiser for me as well.

It only repairs 10 items at a time on the trial version which lasts forever.

But you can run it as many times as you like.

Run C Cleaner one week and Winaso the next.Both very good but Winaso is best.

Like this post
Housten

Likes # 0

Gentleman,

A very good afternoon to you all!

As I said I was hoping for some advice, and what have I got - a veritable torrent!! Many, many thanks to you all. I have Ccleaner and tried its registry cleaner once, but it didn't seem to work, so will try it again, and I will have to get Winaso because as buteman says- or rather infers - using them alternatively seems to cover most of the angles!

Many, many thanks for such speedy replies, I am very grateful and will dump the two I mentioned in my question!

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Housten

I should have mentioned that if it finds 300 problems it means you have to run it 30 times to repair everything.

Dont let that put you off as it is worth the effort and future scans find little.

Empty your recycle bin before you start.

Like this post
shellship

Likes # 0

Why do want a Registry cleaner? General advice seems to be that they do little good - marginal speed increase if any - and may do harm. I binned Mechanic a few years ago.

Like this post
ams4127

Likes # 0

As long as you make sure to back up your registry - preferably to an external drive - registry cleaners can't do any harm.

Whether they do any good is questionable. I use the one which comes as part of Norton 360. Seems to work without causing me any heartache!

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Best iPad Air 2 and iPad mini 3 deals: Find the best contract for your new iPad

IDG UK Sites

The iPhone is doomed. Doomed to be marginally less successful than a very successful thing.

IDG UK Sites

How to prototype native mobile apps without writing code

IDG UK Sites

How to prepare for and update to OS X Yosemite: Get your Mac ready to download & install Apple's...