We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Intermittent power supply

penhit

Likes # 0

A friend is complaining that a relaively new Fujitsu Siemens laptop has intermittent supply problems. Can't get it to boot uo unless firmly pressing on switch - even then it drops power. We live in a verty rural area (shortage of local shops and serices etc)! Any suggestions for a systematic and straight forward approach to trouble- shooting would be welcome. Thanks in advance

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

It all depends how new ,If less than 1 year it will be covered by warranty.

And depending who he bought it from they may collect it from your friends house to be repaired.

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or maybe try removing the battery and the mains power cord and holding the start button in for 30 seconds.

Then install them again and see if it makes any difference.

I am sure someone will be on shortly that can give you the proper advice that you need.

Like this post
penhit

Likes # 0

Unfortunately it was bought abroad, so ecven if it is less tahn a year old (which is just possible) that route is notr going to be straight forward...

Like this post
onthelimit1

Likes # 0

Shouldn't matter where bought, still under warranty if less than a year?

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Could just be a bad switch connection.

I have the exact same problem on my desktop and if I don't press the start button firmly enough it grinds to a start.Hard drive usually clicks away but it is start and stop when it is not going well and impossible to use.

I have to wait till it finally boots up then switch it off then back on again for it to work Ok.

I have always thought that it was a faulty switch but I suppose it could be the power supply.

The power supply itself is so quiet the only way you know that it is running is the sound of the clicks coming from the hard drive.

As this only happens about once twice a week I have put up with it as it is or was a German company[ Medion] and I hear that they have to send the computer back to Germany for repair which takes ages.

I have had a look inside my computer but it looks a bit complicated compared with my old computer so left things as they were.

Maybe make sure the Hard drive is connected properly is about all I know about laptops.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

have a look at your power options on the laptop itself or the pdf handbook thats normally in the driver cd. and do your detective work from there, if no joy contact the computer manufacturer or the seller.

Have a look the fan does it need a good clean-out of dust, you be surprissed how much dust accumulates over months.

Like this post
finerty

Likes # 0

b4 you open the laptop to give a good clean make sure you have anti static bracelet and ground yourself. Aso have a lok at the power supply is plugged in properly, is it compatible with the UK eletrics.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Samsung Galaxy Note 4 release date, price and specs UK: Ultrasonic cover to aid the visually...

IDG UK Sites

Apple iWatch release date, rumours & images - October unveiling, December release expected

IDG UK Sites

Mobile email is powerful and useful - but also hopelessly intrusive

IDG UK Sites

How the Oculus Rift VR headset is helping train the surgeons of tomorrow