We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

LINUX Operating System

Mack1

Likes # 0

I have been offered a trial download/install of this OS but do not know anything about it.I would welcome comments from users as to whether it is a better alternative to Windos 7 which I have only purchased recently.Apparently it is possible to run it side by side with Win7.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 1

There are dozens of Linux systems, you will have to tell us what the one you have is?

Most Linux systems will let you run them from the CD without having to install it on the hard drive so you can see if you like it or not and to make sure its going to be compatible with your hardware.

Its not an alternative to the Microsoft Windows system, it is a completely different system under the bonnet. On the surface they look the same, my son, who is a Windows user, comes home and he is completely at home using my Linux Ubuntu system.

You can run it with Windows, when you boot you will have the option of selecting which system you want to use, in fact on this new computer I'm not going to install Windows because I have found I was never using it, so I couldn't see the point on spending out on something that I never use.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 1

Most Linux distros are free and as said above Ubuntu seems to be one of the more popular because it is close in appearence to windows.

Like this post
BBW

Likes # 0

I have recently installed UBUNTU on my laptop & my Desktop, which is free. I can boot into Windows or Ubuntu. As all software is free in UBUNTU this can only be good. There are many items of software in Ubuntu which almost looks like the Windows equivalent. A handbook is available on the disc or the the software downloaded. which I suggest you read before installing on your computer.

Like this post
Mack1

Likes # 0

I haven`t installed this program I was only enquiring about it.Anyway,it was only a one day offer which has now expired.

Like this post
scotty

Likes # 0

"It was only a one day offer". Alarm bells start ringing. I would not touch this offer. Linux is freely available any day. If you are interested in trying Linux, I suggest you look at this site:link text

This page contains links to different ways of installing Ubuntu. If you create a CD or USB stick to use for installing Ubuntu, you can use it to try Ubuntu without installing, you are given the option when you start your pc. This will give you a feel for the operating system before you commit to installing Linux.

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

I haven`t installed this program I was only enquiring about it.Anyway,it was only a one day offer which has now expired.

A one day offer that's free, interesting.

Like this post
Strawballs

Likes # 0

Am I wrong but don't you have to pay for Red Hat?

Like this post
octal

Likes # 0

The only disto I can think of you pay for is Xandros. You can pay for PC-LinuxOS, although it is free, you pay the extra to get access to faster servers to update your system and download programmes.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

45 Best Android games: top Android games for your smartphone or tablet in 2014 (24 are free!)

IDG UK Sites

How Apple, Adobe, Microsoft and others have let us down over UltraHD and hiDPI screens

IDG UK Sites

Do you have the X-Factor too? Mix Off app puts fans in the frame

IDG UK Sites

iPad Pro release date, rumours and leaked images - 12.9 screen 'coming in 2015'