We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Fake Antimalware Removal

Fishbox
Resolved

Likes # 0

I seem to have picked up a fake antimalware prog while surfing on Google.Get pop-ups including "XP Security 2012 Alert" etc. It's stopping me using Internet Explorer.Is there a way round this? I am planning to try Mbam & Superantispyware but can't download eg from filehippo. Managed to run Microsoft Security Essentials which showed no threats. Any suggestionsplease?

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Removal Instructions Bleeping Computer

Like this post  
Fishbox

Likes # 0

Great link-many thanks.Have registered&will give it a go. Rogue problem is on desktop PC.(WinXP SP3). Currently on laptop (Win Vista Basic) working via router but not networked. Connected laptop to printer with cable but won't print the procedure! Will have to sort this out first-exe file problem caused by rogue???

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

If you have a laptop and the problem is on your other pc the Desktop, you don't need to print out the instructions. Just have your laptop displaying them whilst you work on the Desktop pc.

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

Also you could download SAS and MBAM to a folder on your laptop, put them on a memory stick, and in safemode on your desktop try to launch them

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

You shouldn't have to register or buy anything - use the free versions of the tools. If you`re having problems with the exe files it is caused by the rogue software. Take john bunyan's advice.

Like this post
Fishbox

Likes # 0

Thanks all-I'm a very old dog trying to learn new tricks and having "senior moments" in the process! Taff-I registered on bleeping.com but don't part with money!Thought it might have been the cause of failure to print. Iotvic-See my opening words! John-I have a memory stick- can you point me to a source of info. on safe mode,please? Once again many thanks to you all-it may be some time before I have the opportunity to try to resolve this but I'll get back in due course in case my experiences can help others.

Like this post
Taff™

Likes # 0

Safe Mode - On computer boot up tap the F8 key repeatedly, twice a second will do, until a screen comes up giving you option. use the arrow keys to select safe mode and press enter

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

With BleepingComputers you have to follow instructions from.

Automated Removal Instructions for Win 7 Antispyware 2012, Vista Antivirus 2012, and XP Security 2012 using Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware:

Just follow the automated removal instructions.

Like this post
Fishbox

Likes # 0

Been away for a couple of weeks. The fix worked a treat. Sincere thanks to all.

Like this post
Fishbox

Likes # 0

Postscript!After the removal I got a red warning shield in the icon tray.I was unable to reset Windows Automatic Updates from the Security Centre or via Control Panel/System.This "Fix it For Me" worked http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 10 launch event as it happened: Read our Windows 10 launch live blog - find out first as...

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 and the death of the OS as a must-have product

IDG UK Sites

Video trends: 4K is here – HDR video, VR and 3D audio is coming

IDG UK Sites

Best iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus deals: iPhone 6, iPhone 6 Plus tariffs, contracts and prices UK