We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Programs try to install on Z Drive

NJ4959

Likes # 0

I use a Netgear Stora NAS to store my data files. On my desktop PC 'My Documents' and 'My Pictures' are pointed to the 'Z' drive on the Stora. I have recently tried to install a couple of new programs but each time I get the message "Invalid Drive Z". As far as I am aware programs should install onto the C drive. The programs do not give me the option as to where I can install them. There is no problem installing programs on my laptop as it does not use the Stora the same way. Any ideas?

Like this post
gengiscant

Likes # 0

This will be of no help whatsoever I had one of those Netgear Stora NAS boxes and had one problem after another with it. Got rid of it. I am a great fan of Netgear but not the Stora.

As to your problem,I am puzzled when you say that the programs do not give you an option of where to install, I have never come across that before, have you tried the Stora Forum? Forum

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

change the default location that windows installs programs http://www.tech-recipes.com/rx/242/xp-change-default-installation-directory/

To change the default application installation folder, open your registry clicking the Start -- Run menu and type regedit in the Run window.

Find the following registry key and change its value from "Z:\Program Files" to "C:\Program Files"

Edit the registry to:

In the left pane: HKEYLOCALMACHINE\Software\Microsoft\Windows\Current Version

In the right pane: Rightclick on 'ProgramFilesDir' change Value to: C:\Program Files

Click on OK and close Registry Editor. Close pc down and reboot.

Please note that some programs ignore this registry setting, but this will work in most cases and certainly for all programs that are designed properly for Windows.

Be sure to make a backup of your registry before making any changes to it. You can back your registry by selecting "File" "Export" in the registry editor. If you make a mistake or the registry changes don't work as expected, you'll be able to use the "File" -- "Import" menu to reload the previous registry settings.

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

This forum doesn't let you type two underscores _ as part of a word so HKEYLOCALMACHINE should have an underscore either side of LOCAL instead of it being in intalics

Like this post
lotvic

Likes # 0

edit, 'either' should read both sides of LOCAL

Like this post
NJ4959

Likes # 0

Thanks for the help so far. Strangely, the registry is already set to C:\Program Files.

With regards to the comment about where I can choose to install, programs as I remember used to ask where do you want to install, and give all the available drive locations. The two I have tried to install don't give that option and just report the error (Z drive invalid).

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft smartwatch release date, price and specs rumours: Launching within a few weeks

IDG UK Sites

Why you shouldn't buy the iPad mini 3: No wonder Apple gave it 10 seconds of stage time

IDG UK Sites

Halloween Photoshop tutorials: 13 masterclasses for horrifying art, designs and type

IDG UK Sites

Should I upgrade from Mavericks to OS X 10.10 Yosemite? What you need to know before updating to...