We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Spyware Blaster

thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Spyware Blaster, does it actually do anything?

Like this post
john bunyan

Likes # 0

It purports to block spyware etc. I use it but do not know how to see what it has blocked!

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

This is a good question. I was thinking the same myself. If you look in the start up folder there is nothing there and the same if it is viewed in process explorer, nothing there. The only way to see it is to launch from the desktop and it confirms protection and updates available. So where does it reside in Windows and how does it manage to run and not show it is running?

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Greetings and thanks John....ditto...I've used it for years and religiously update it, but Spyware still gets through to my machine. And yep, never thought of it before, but you're right, I've never found out what it's "Blocked" either.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Ditto too Snrub...brings to mind the parable of the Kings New Clothes!

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Many thanks Rdave, read it through and I'm up and running with most of it. Re the Protection section...I've followed all the instructions, all to no avail...crap keeps on coming! Rdave, are you a user and what is your honest opinion?

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

Thanks rdave13 this does explain what's happening and I suppose Host Files works on a similar basis blocking Known problem sites.

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

thumbscrew, Always used it and crap will still come through depending on how you use the net and your security apps. McAfee's free site advisor is also an invaluable help at times. Much better than WOT I believe.

Snrub, as for Host Files blocking you'll get none better than Spybot S&D.

All in my humble opinion of course.

Like this post
thumbscrew

Likes # 0

Thanks amigo,your humble opinion far supersedes mine...I'll carry on using it.

Like this post
Snrub

Likes # 0

As a matter of interest I run Spyware Blaster real time, Host Files, McAfee real time protection and Iobit Malware Fighter Pro real time protection. I don't know if this is overkill and breaks the rules about having multiple protection but all seem compatible. Iobit seems the most proactive and has found the most problems and rectified them, identifying the problem in detail. It found problems not shown using Malwarebytes and Superantispyware.

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Windows 9 release date, price, features: Windows 9 beta leaked ahead of 30 September unveiling

IDG UK Sites

Is Apple losing confidence in itself?

IDG UK Sites

The Samsung Gear VR is better than the Oculus Rift (kinda)

IDG UK Sites

How (and where) to buy an iPhone 6 or iPhone 6 Plus in the UK. Plus: How to buy an iPhone 6 today