We use cookies to provide you with a better experience. If you continue to use this site, we'll assume you're happy with this. Alternatively, click here to find out how to manage these cookies

hide cookie message
Contact Forum Editor

Send an email to our Forum Editor:

PLEASE NOTE: Your name is used only to let the Forum Editor know who sent the message. Both your name and email address will not be used for any other purpose.

Tech Helproom

It's free to register, to post a question or to start / join a discussion

Occasional flicker

avesnes1

Likes # 0

My desktop has recently developed an occasional screen flicker. It is very quick. The screen brightens very slightly and immediately returns to normal. The flicker seems to be random and includes quite long periods (15 - 20 seconds) of it not happening.

I would be grateful if any member can shed light on this odd and faintly annoying problem.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

May be obvious but first check for any loose cables between the case and monitor.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

northumbria61 I have disconnected and reseated both ends of the cable between the case and the monitor and I have ensured that the cable is well away from any power wires and any speakers, and although the flicker is still occuring, it seems to be less frequent.....or is it just my imagination?

I'll try it all again tomorrow. Thanks for the advice - it's much appreciated.

avesnes1

Like this post
rdave13

Likes # 0

Check your OS's power management. Does this happen out of 'sleep' or 'hibernation' or simply from a boot-up?

Try re-setting the power management by changing it to something else applying it then changing it back to original state and 'applying' it again.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

rdave13, Thanks for the suggestion, but it had no effect.

I have since reseated the cable ends for a second time, but with no effect and this afternoon I removed the side panel and did a little dusting with a soft paintbrush and the hoover nozzle....but the occasional flicker is still with me.

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what try next. Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

While you were doing your "dusting" did you make sure the graphics card was "seated" properly? You could "earth" yourself, remove card and reseat - worth trying if even just to eliminate that it's not the problem.

Try a Graphics card update via Device Manager - it it doesn't make any difference you can always "roll it back".

Like this post
buteman

Likes # 0

Or try a system restore to a time when it was running ok.

Always worth a try.

Like this post
avesnes1

Likes # 0

The story has become even odder!

I used the desktop this morning and the flicker was still occuring. I read northumbria61's and buteman's suggestions and found a YouTube video on reseating a graphics card and decided to have a go this evening. I shutdown the desktop and went shopping with madam.

My son switched the machine on at 18:00 and for the last 3 hours there hasn't been one flicker!! The wonders of electronics.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for the suggestions and I'll keep in mind the last two if the flicker returns.

avesnes1

Like this post
northumbria61

Likes # 0

Great news !

Like this post

Reply to this topic

This thread has been locked.

IDG UK Sites

Microsoft Band UK release date and price rumours, features and specs: Microsoft smartwatch unveiled

IDG UK Sites

Why Sony's PS4 2.0 update is every gamer's dream (well, mine at least)

IDG UK Sites

This Grolsch ad combines stop-motion & CG for majestic results

IDG UK Sites

Apple rumours and predictions for 2015: What to expect from Apple in 2015